Aftermarket Ignition

Well, its time to replace plugs, wires, dist. cap and rotor in my '97 Wrangler 4.0. I read alot of posts saying that upgrading the coil wouldn't be of any benefit over stock but I've still got a couple of questions. If aftermarket coils are no better, how is Performance Distributors making the claim that spark gap can be increased to .065 with their 4.0 firepower kit? Second, has anyone tried opening up their gap using stock coil and wires or with better wires with any success? Thanks in advance for any advise.

Reply to
Rob

Rob did pass the time by typing:

I use Bosch cap/rotor/wires and Autolite plugs, works fine. Just get the cap/rotor that uses brass, not the cheap ass aluminum ones. (although that is more for longevity and corrosion resistance than anything else)

..

When you increase the gap the coil has to source more current at a higher voltage to bridge that gap. The result you want is a larger and hotter spark, but if you do it with a stock coil you run a high risk of overheating and melting the coil windings.

OTOH, if you put in too hot of a coil it can jump the gap in your distributor before the engine should fire. That's why for HEI style ignitions you have to install the larger GM HEI rotor and cap.

Finally, to measure "success" in any appreciable way you really need a rolling-road/Dyno. The fractional HP gains can't be felt by the MK-I butt. :)

Reply to
DougW

Once there is "more than enough" spark to ignite the air-fuel mixture as there is with the TJ's already very good ignition system, adding MORE spark won't help a thing. Hotter coils and high-performance ignition systems help older Jeeps a lot but it won't help the TJ in the least. The TJ's ignition system is an excellent product and it has to be so it can help it keep passing the smog tests as it must do for five to seven years, depending on where you live.

Save your money, buy OEM quality ignition components and the engine will run as good as it's gonna run, and you'll have more $$$ in your checking account to boot. :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Ya know, Jer, I was thinkin the same thing, and have thought so for years, but far be it from me to put a damper on the performance market's profit margins. At least I know that I'm not the only that thinks this way.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Newton