Air tank to refill tires

What size air tank would I need to carry to refill 4 31x10.5x15 tires from 18psi to 35psi?

I would prefer to have onbaord air and not have to carry the tank, but the compressor setup is $515CND, and the air tank is only $12-$25CDN.

-Dan

Reply to
Dan

If this is the kind you fill with an air compressor, about 4 tanks should do it. If you are talking about a CO2 tank, check this link,

-- Paul Calman, Hathaway Pines, California

Reply to
Paul Calman

Seriously, he's right. Don't expect to be able to carry enough compressed air to be even CLOSE to worth it if you're just talking about tanks you fill with a compressor. MAYBE if you had a high enough capacity tank, such as a scuba tank that can take 2200 PSI or something...but those are expensive as heck and negate the cost savings justification you're using.

CO2 tanks will do nicely since they contain the CO2 in liquid form, and a single 10 GAL tank could fill up your tires more than once (I don't recall the exact specs on how many of your particular tire size could be filled). However, the CO2 tanks can tend to get just as expensive as a compressor setup.

Good luck in your decision. /Bob

Reply to
Bob

hardware store and get the cigarette lighter air compressor, but it takes at least 5 minutes a tire to air back up.

Reply to
herman

herman did pass the time by typing:

Get two and cut the time in half. :)

Reply to
DougW

get four, might as well, they are only like $19CDN each.

Reply to
herman

herman did pass the time by typing:

There ya go.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
Roy J

Blowing up a $12 - $25CDN tank with enough air to refill those tires will only make a bomb in your Jeep. I built my own CO2 system for around $180 US and you could probably do it for less if you shopped around a bit. That said if I had it to do over again I'd save the money I spent on the CO2 system and put in a belt driven air compressor. CO2 isn't free and Murphy's law states that it will run out at the most inconvenient time.

Here is my link to the CO2 system:

Good luck, Dean

Reply to
Dean

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I was carrying one of those even BEFORE I had my first Jeep. And I've got the burned fingers to prove it. But they sure do work!

Reply to
Charlie

Nothing like blowing fuel into your tires, or is there a trick to that...never heard of it...just using AC compressor.

Reply to
Joseph P

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Neat, I think...but I still don't see where any fuel might go if it is connected directly to the cylinder via the plug hole. Can you elaborate on that, maybe include a parts list? Thanks.

Reply to
Joseph P

The unburned fuel just goes out the exhaust. The compression just works a piston that sucks fresh air from the sides of the thing and puts it out the middle under compression.

They do work really well, but are really slow.

Mike

Joseph P wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

...or they used them in dusty areas and ended up sucking crap inside of their engines...

:)

Reply to
John Sevey

There is no path between the outside air and the inside of the engine. It uses the compression of the engine to push a piston up and down in the cylinder. I used to carry one when going cross country racing on my IT400 dirt bike. I would pull out my compression release and install it to air up after fixing flats. The last place I knew to get one was at your local farm supply.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Prinz

I found a thread that said NAPA has them and calls them a tire pump. Part #90-366.

I just checked at NAPA Canada and he is going to check around, but the US parts are different.

Mike

Sean Pr>

Reply to
Mike Romain