Alternator Mounting Bracket - 60.00

I have a broken mounting bracket for my 83 CJ7 so today I'm looking around for one. The local parts stores don't carry them so I have two choices, Dealer or Salvage Yard. The dealer price on this item is 59.00. The salvage yard is 35.00. However, the salvage yard is way out in BFE so I need to consider time and gas. I was lucky enough to go to a couple of Jeep Club meetings and find we can get discount off parts at a certain dealer so that brings the price down closer to the salvage yard so this time I'm going with the Dealer.

What burns my butt is the fact that this light weight piece of metal can cost this much $$$. I would figure 15, maybe 20 max, new.

Same day I price out a Flywheel ring gear from the dealer. They want 73.00 for a Ring Gear, 145.00 for a new Flywheel. Local parts store sells the Ring Gear for 23. Before I knew I could turn the ring gear over I order the part so I was stuck with it. Live and learn.

Well, anyway, the point of the story is if you're going to keep your jeep, always keep an eye for duplicate parts for future possible needs.

I'm going to be spending some time in the future to learn welding. I know then I could build a better quality one or at least repair it in the future.

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

I feel for ya.............. wife's explorer leaked a bunch of antifreeze onto the driveway. I used silicone for a water pump gasket last time & the coolant made a hole in it & started squirting out. Went to Yuba City Auto Parts (better known as "Church") got a new gasket & some form a gasket #2 (used a much thinner coat this time) & then ASSUMED the problem to be fixed. Started pouring in the new antifreeze (I hate working on vehicles - but I really enjoy when I am done.....a lot) - so I'm feeling good & pouring antifreeze..................there is another leak........looks like the thermostat. I go to Kragen & get a Standt (supposed to be a good brand - "Church" doesn't have a brand that I like). I open up the box & it doesn't have that little bleed valve that it is supposed to have. I call Kragen, go down to make the trade. I look at it the Motorcraft one & it has a neat little ball check valve & the standt has a rod flattened on each end through a hole. I figure the Standt is about $4.00 so I might as well go to the dealer & get a good one even if it cost twice as much..................$26.00 for a thermostat (the "O" ring seal that goes around it was included with the motorcraft one & it cost an extra $1.49 with the Standt. ..............And then.........that wasn't even the problem. It was the intake manifold gasket........$87.00 for a stinkin gasket set & that was after I used a friends name (owns a garage). Sometimes you wonder if tools, time, & parts might not add up to a new vehicle......

Reply to
Carlo

Did you ask other Jeepers if they had your bracket?

I thought to get the old ring gear off, you need to cut it to relieve the tension. The new one is then heated to expand it and placed over the flywheel before it cools.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I"m really up against time and I'm forced to get the bracket now or otherwise I would.

Machine shop took the old Ring Gear off and sweated the new one on. Just pounded it off and then heated the new one and tapped it on. Good as new.

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Reply to