alternator up grade

well I'm looking to up grade my stock 89 yj 4.2L alternator what fits that has over 120 amps? is there something from a bone yard that will work. thanx any links?

Reply to
wraithyjeep

You might also look into changing the stator on your existing alternator for more current output. They might have another stator winding that would just drop into your existing housing. You could certainly ask about this at the Jeep dealer...

Professor Check out FlashAlert at

Professor

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

The alternator from a fully loaded Corvette is about 120 amps, which is about as big as you are going to find. Personally, I think your best bet is a parts store where the guy actually knows how to work the microfiche. I wouldn't be buying an old beat up alternator from a junk yard when I can get a new one for much less effort, and it will have a warranty behind it.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

no idea what the OP wants them for ! Sounds like he would be best getting a TJ one if he can spare the -3 amp :-) I assume it will fit ....

God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Dave Milne

Don't know if this will help for an 89 YJ.. But I do know it will fit a 95 YJ.. HTH

Ben

95 YJ 2.5L
Reply to
Ben

I can't confirm but I've heard of people getting the kind o alternators that come off from ambulances... high power from what I hear but I dunno

Troy

Reply to
Troy

Troy did pass the time by typing:

Either for an ambulance or for a the police version of a vehicle that has the same engine.

Reply to
DougW

Back when I was a fireman ('77-'84) all the rolling stock was equipped with

160 Amp alternators. I don't recall the manufacturer but you can stop by any firehouse and ask.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

In the engines (1962 C-1000 (Howe), and 1970 C-700 chassis (FMC) the radios (city and county) sat on the shelf in the back of the cab. In the rescue truck (1967 GMC breadtruck chassis) they were bolted to a bracket inside the cab roof, The 1970 Cadillac ambulance had them behind the driver's seat. I can't remember where they were in the '76 Dodge 1 ton ambulance . When the county went to 4 channels we saved money by buying the used 2 channel radios from other departments and squeezing them in also. By the time we took delivery of the 1982 Sutphen the county was up to 10 channels and the separate city band radio. The Sutphen was the first to have a 10 channel radio. The '62 was then stripped of the ladder body, pump, and PTO, a new driveshaft fitted, and driven to PA for conversion to a rescue truck. The old chassis got 2 MPG on that trip. That meant a fuel stop every 100 miles. The rescue box has since been fitted to a new chassis. The '67 rescue truck was purchased by a rural department and is still in use.

"L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@cox.net...

Reply to
Billy Ray

Try a small case Delco for a mid 80s Corvette with AC. Same size case as the alternator you have, rated at 120 amps. Simple bolt in. Available at any auto parts store. It will be a good idea to take in your old one to be sure the alternator you leave with is what you want.

Reply to
Robert Bills