Aluminum to Steel

Aluminum shift knob (that I like) with a crappy plastic shim so it fits generic shift levers. The plastic is not holding up, so I want to hit the hardware store for a nut that I can grind / shape to fit inside the shift knob. Any suggestions on joining the nut to the inside of the knob so that it stays put? I figured an epoxy will work, any other suggestions? Any favorable epoxies to look for?

Reply to
Rusted

cyanoacrylate should do it (superglue).

Dave Milne

Rusted did pass the time by typing:

JB Weld.

If you want it to absoultly stay put, notch the nut with a dremmel or roughen it up with a file. But get it straight cause there isn't any re-do once that stuff sets.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
RoyJ

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I would have to say JB weld also, or find you a good machine shop and have a threaded insert made or just get them to make you a new shift knob to fit. Here is the one I had made for mine.

cantrelm

Don't let then catch you coming back over the border with those, Homeland Security in Detroit couldn't imagine why I might need a hatchet when wilderness camping.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Billy, If they take the time to look at it they will see that they have already been popped. Not to mention you would have to drill them out to get them out, as they are press fit in, and wont be coming out any to easy. (lol) And WHY would you need a hatchet? I mean really!! (LOL)

Tom

Reply to
cantrelm

Hey Billy Ray, They would have a fit over my machete I keep under my door rail then too!!! Tom

Reply to
cantrelm

Well..... you have me there, I did not get to use the hatchet as there was plenty of wood available cut by someone with a chain saw.

I don't think they would believe you when you explained to them the primers had already been fired. There probably isn't a category exemption for expended munitions and they would impound your shift knob after tossing your Jeep and put you in the big computer as a potential raghead terrorist/gun runner/smuggler.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Well that would be fine with me, I am sure I am already in one of those computers somewhere as my brother-in-law is a State Senator, and I have other relatives that work for unmentioned branches of the gov. Heck they have probably had me on one of those computers since birth. So if they don't have anything better to waste their time and money on then let them. (LOL) But they can't have the shifter!!!!!!!

Tom

Reply to
cantrelm

It is very nice. I would have to use .44 specials as my elbow was damaged years ago.

Just this morning sent an e-mail to the Canadian Tourism people about wilderness camping in the Bancroft area, see the reply below:

Unfortunately, your mail was not delivered to the following address:

: Connected to 192.75.156.245 but sender was rejected.

Now I have been rejected by a whole country!

Reply to
Billy Ray

Maybe some one is trying to tell you to give up camping!

terrorist/gun

suggestions?

Reply to
cantrelm

Billy,

You are welcome to camp in Colorado any time. We have it all, from motor home campgrounds that look like a suburban housing development, to primitive campgrounds at the end of a ten mile deer trail. All we ask, is that you bring lots of money, buy stuff, and leave when you are done. I heard that our neighbor states are nice too.

Earle

terrorist/gun

suggestions?

Reply to
Earle Horton

My great-grandmother was born in the Colorado Territory near Estes Park. It might be worth a look around.

It doesn't sound too friendly to say bring money, buy stuff, and get out. I thought that was another state's motto.

Reply to
Billy Ray

If you're rich or willing to work, you can stay. ;o)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I would have to transfer my professional license.

Reply to
Billy Ray

When Colorado Territory became a state, it changed its name to Colorude-o, which is obvious if you've ever driven around Denver and 'burbs thereof. As for Estes Park, it would be my nomination for a tourist trap of the "bring money, buy crap, go home" variety.

Billy Ray proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Well I wont visit there then, G-grandma has been dead 64 years now anyway and I don't think she would miss me.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Your assessment is correct. However, the tourists aren't here all the time, and there are places they never go. If you like scenery, you could do worse.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton