Am I asking for trouble?

I'm thinking of buying a Jeep GC for this winter; preferably a

1995 model. What are your thoughts on buying a used Jeep? Any advice? Things I should look for? tia ldj
Reply to
lawdogjr

lawdogjr did pass the time by typing:

95 is a good starting point. That year started rear disc brakes. Much better than the drums. If you get a V8 with Quadratrack the tranny will have a lowlock capability. In 96 both the I6 and V8 got the lowlock Quadratrack.

If it has been taken care of there isn't much to worry about.

Possible hard maintenance items would include new springs, shocks, steering damper, and track/antisway arm bushings. But again, those depend on what type of life the ZJ lead before.

What do you plan to do with it? Mostly on-road with some gravel/snow or some more serious off-roading? That affects the transfer case you should look at. Command track is better for folks that intend to offroad in any serious capability as it has part-time and 2WD settings.

Reply to
DougW

Strickly city/highway use.

thx again!

Reply to
lawdogjr

lawdogjr did pass the time by typing:

:( How about a nice Honda Accord? :)

Nah.. in that case, Quadratrack. It's the best option for mostly street and more than adaquate for unimproved roads and big potholes.

Reply to
DougW

The 1995 Grand Cherokees are a great vehicle. Just watch for rust. Check the rear hatch. Open the rear hatch and look at the bottom inside of the hatch door to see how bad the rust is. Also check the bottom of the doors. Check the inside of the front doors, all the way at the bottom. They tend to rust there also.

One other thing to check. If it has floor mats, pull them up. Check for water stains on the carpet. The A/C in that year had a venting drain tube that tended to clog, causing the A/C condensation to leak into the interior if not properly cared for. If you see stains it may tell you that the vehicle was not all that cared for.

Happy Jeeping

-Mark

Reply to
Mark12211