AM I HAVING TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS ON MY NEW JEEP???

I just purchased a 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport with 28,800 miles. It is a manual shift and today is the first day that I have driven it around for a while. It has popped out of first gear three different times! It happens when I am sitting dead still and just begin to go forward. It will suddenly slip out of first gear with a popping noise. At first I thought it was my inexperience with shifting a jeep wrangler but after the third time I am beginning to worry that I got sold a truck with transmission problems. Has anyone else heard of this or know what it could be? If so, how much does it cost to fix it? Thanks for any help you can give me!

Reply to
Shane

I do not know what your problem is but I also have a standard shift 2000 Wrangler Sport (31,000 miles) and that has never happened to me.

Reply to
Smegma Breath

A broken engine or tranny mount can cause this.

Mike

Shane wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

or

Above is at least one thread dealing with 2000 Wranglers popping out of gear...

Reply to
Patrick Mills

Sounds like the shifting linkage isn't letting it go all the way into first gear. Could it just need adjusting?

Reply to
j carter

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

A Wrangler has no linkage, the gearshift goes right into the tranny.

Mike

j carter wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

OK. From reading your responses, it is something broken - either a "synchro" or something else. But why does it only happen occassionaly. From reading the posts on the link, putting all new transmissions into jeeps did not permently fix the problem. BTW, I am NOT mechanically inclined and I just bought the vehicle at a reputable dealer, but "as is". I am not sure if there is a return policy on used cars or not. Any more suggesstions or ideas?

Shane

Reply to
Shane

I dont guess the warranty extened past four years on a 2000 wrangler did it?

Reply to
Shane

Well, I think an e-mail from "Ryan" helped me determine the problem. He said he was having a similar problem and discovered that a TSB was released regarding this issue. Checking it out online, I found that this can be a problem for Jeep Wranglers manufactured between Nov 20,

1999 and May 17, 2000. The TSB involves replacement of the shift shaft lever to allow the addition of a new detent spring and plunger. The first dealership I have called thus far stated it was about a $750 repair job. I plan to have it completed after the Holidays unless the dealership foots the bill (yeah right) and I will let you all know if it fixed the problem. Thanks for all of your help!

Shane

Reply to
Shane