American Racing teflon wheels

Anyone know what the MSRP will be for these new wheels in 16x8? I haven't been able to find any info on the Web.

Here is the one I am interested in:

If that link doesn't work, go here and click on "Diamond Lock II":

Has anyone read anything about how resistant the finish is to rock chipping and scratching?

These wheels have been mentioned in the newest issues of JP and 4 Wheeler, but they did not say much...

Thanks.

John Davies

'96 Lexus LX450 '00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies

L.W.(ßill)

And please tell me what this has to do with my post? I never mentioned rock crawling or even off-roading - just rock chipping and scratching of the teflon finish. I want to know how durable the finish is.

Thanks.

John Davies

'96 Lexus LX450 '00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies

So take a hammer to the showroom. They look as gay as anything else American Wheel makes. BTW, the Lexus is just a Toyota for girls. Men don't drive Lexii.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Reply to
twaldron

I don't think the tire dealer would appreciate that approach.

You haven't seen or driven mine ;)

Anyway, thanks for the non-relevant inane pointless reply.

John Davies

'96 Lexus LX450 '00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies

Don't see why a low friction coefficient would make them more durable. But you could make a no stick omelet on them by setting your tires on fire. Seriously you ever stirred something in a teflon coated frying pan with a metal utensil? It might keep the brake dust and dirt from sticking but they would be ruined the second you got stuck in the mud or sand or anything else abrasive.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Question: What are you planning to cook on your wheels? There is absolutely no benefit whatsoever to Teflon being on the wheels. In fact, I doubt that there is much, if any, actually on the wheels. Do you have any idea what it takes to actually put Teflon into a metal material? It's rather hilarious. It also goes along with the 'teflon wax'. In order to get Teflon to adhere to the surface of your car, or wheel for that matter (gotta keep it on-topic), you would literally melt the car, put it under extreme pressures (hundreds of PSi) and keep it under that pressure during the slow cooling process. According to Du Pont (inventor and patent holder) that is the only way to get Teflon to adhere to any surface; IE A chemical bonding by which the cooling metal surrounds and captures the teflon particles. In otherwords, I doubt it's on the wheels and if it is, WHY?

Then again, after a brief glance at the wheel I'm trying to picture any LX-470 (IE: Land Cruiser with a $35,000 badge change and a latte machine in the service area) with these wheels and every time I try I'm surprised to think that it would look pretty... well... hideous..

But to each their own.

Reply to
DragonRider

Well, I apologize. I never read the charter. I greatly enjoy this group, I used to own an XJ and am considering a Rubi, so please excuse my lapse. And I will excuse your language and faulty opinion.

John Davies

'96 Lexus LX450 '00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies

Here's a little further info regarding Teflon and engines.

a whole lot more useful reading about oil and additives.http://members.cox.net/gadget/Oil_Articles.htm

Reply to
Paul Calman