Another Ford 8.8 question

Ok guys, here goes. I remember, and can easily find all the info needed for the wonderful 8.8 rearend swap. But.... I remember a article, and it could possibly be from a magazine, but there was some type of adapter kit, that added about a half inch width to each side of the axle setup. Problem is, I can't remember what in the heck this was all about. Whether it was changing the bolt pattern or what? A company actually offered the kit, and its been driving me nuttier than bill that I can't remember what it is.... Anyone? HELP!!!

PS, Sorry Bill, was only meant in fun!

Reply to
RSMuddog via CarKB.com

I have never heard of the kit but there is no bolt pattern issues that I am aware of. Fors Explore axles from about 95 to 02 are basically a bolt in in a YJ. It is a fraction narrower but this it not really a issue with wide offset wheels and tires. The 8.8 is one of the better swaps for this because it is a stronger axle than a D44 that many try to use sometimes. It is pretty solid up to about 38's or so on a Jeep stock.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I haven't heard about such a kit. If it was that big of a deal, you could just use wheel spacers, though I'd rather not use them personally.

The 8.8 is a good strong axle. It's stregnth verus a D44 is debateable, but it is still a C-clip axle, where the D44 is not. This really isn't an issue given the 8.8's stregnth, and if you planned on running anything larger than

37's locked, you'll be shopping for something more than half ton axles anyway...

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

yes yes, I totally understand all of that, and that is why I am performing this swap. But, I can't remember, is the 8.8 a 5 on 4 1/2? Its just the fact that there was a kit, and installing it actually added length, which made it the same as the factory jeep. Not that 1/2" is anything to cry about, just trying to remember what the dang kit was all about.

SnoMan wrote:

Reply to
RSMuddog via CarKB.com

Would you let me paid for your sort term life insurance policy, and ofcourse, be your beneficiary? God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

The bolt pattern is the same as the one on your jeep.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Reply to
RSMuddog via CarKB.com

You are correct. It's your loss. I read your original post and it seemed to me that you were curious about extending the width of the axle a little bit. I hadn't heard about that article but offered some other advice that I thought might help. Next time you post a question, I'll be sure to offer only a direct answer, and not a releveant or alternative answer.

Keep in mind that you are not the only one benifiting from your thread. Others have read it and will read it in the future. The information about D44 vs 8.8 may be beneficial to them, and was relevant based on snoman's post.

Have a wonderful day.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

There is a bracketry kit available from M.O.R.E., maybe that's what you were thinking about? All the bracketry (spring perches, track bar, shock mounts) has to be relocated for a Jeep application. Snoman was wrong again, go figure...in a YJ the spring perches have to be moved outboard 3/4" on both sides from the stock Explorer positions, and the shock mounts have to be repositioned. Hardly "basically a bolt-in" with all that cutting and welding.

Here's some good info on the conversion into a YJ:

Matt Macchiarolo

I think it was an installation article in one of the jeep rags. At least I seem to remember something along the lines of what you describe. Try the online sites of JP magazine and 4-wheel and offroad magazine. If I saw it it was probably in one of those.

Reply to
T. Greening

Would you let me paid for your sort term life insurance policy, and of> course, be your beneficiary?> God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Just like my lack of a steering stabilizer (going on 7 years now) is going to put me, my family, the surrounding neighborhood, and most of the continental United States in the grave.

Sometimes you are such a buffoon you defy description. It's no wonder this group is filling with trolls hounding you and you are 10 times worse than they are with your ridiculous C&P.

The cure is indeed worse than the disease.

Reply to
T. Greening

The only kit I have heard of that extends axle lenght a bit without spacers is the Warn full floating hub kit for the D30 front axle. Maybe a similar kit is made to convert the Ford 8.8 to full floating axles and makes it a bit wider as well. Good luck with your search.

Reply to
nrs

The only kit I have heard of is the one to change the spring perches over to Jeep YJ ones but you will need that kit no matter what you swap in there. They sell bolt on or weld on kits. If I was going to lift in the future, I would use the bolt on ones to get the pinion right, then weld it in the final incarnation. Even the CJ7 Dana 44 like in mine would need new perches welded on to fit a YJ spring pack.

Going wider on the axles with spacers or weird wheels is hard on bearings, they will wear fast.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Ok guys, here goes.
Reply to
Mike Romain

We may lead a horse to water, but we can't make him drink. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 20:33:55 -0700, "L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III" Amazingly Replied without Prejudice below:

:>

Would you let me paid for your sort term life insurance policy, and of:>course, be your beneficiary?:> God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O:>mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

:>

:>> PS, Sorry Bill, was only meant in fun!

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III replied in message snipped-for-privacy@cox.net:

Like, you know you've ever sucked a sweater dick than mine? God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
24Bit

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 14:41:39 -0700, "L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III" Amazingly Replied without Prejudice below:

[...]

Robert Francis

I found it!!!!!! dang what a headache search>

Has a write up about one conversion.>Bob

Reply to
RSMuddog via CarKB.com