Another moving question about rust protection.

When I get to RI I want my CJ to maintain its rust-free status. Anyone have any suggestions what to use and your experiences with same.

Reply to
Richard Harris

L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
Richard Harris

Oh, oh, bad news. When you get there you'll notice moist CJs still running are fairly well rotted away. Having lived in the East for many years, bet thing to do is to mothball it from the first snowfall until late Spring. Even with that precaution the residual salt on the roads hangs around like the devils own until enough rain falls to flush the streets. Always do a thorough rinsing of the undercarriage when washing the Jeep.

FWIW, my '94 YJ was originally owned by a guy in Providence. After I bought it in '95 it rarely if ever went out in the salty wet stuff. Despite that minimal exposure, when I installed a body lift on it this winter all of the body mount metal components were severely corroded and had to be replaced with new. Two of the mount bolts were so corroded they took the threads with them when they came out. I was able to flush the area out and helicoil the threads, but still worth staying on top of when you get back there.

(Maybe Bill has the right idea, perhaps you could drop it off at my place in Colorado on your way East...far less threat of theft here!)

Reply to
Jerry McG

...well if its bare metal underneath I'd clean it up and POR 15 it...me being the overzealous fool I am...I'd use a light coating of wurth medium build undercoating over top of the POR 15 take a weekened or two while its summer once you get settled in and get under that sucker....look for every nook and cranny and protect it.

....Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Reply to
Jeepster

Black graphite undercoating. Sprayed on every autumn.

Steve

Richard Harris wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Prime rust zones here in salty southern New England for CJs are the double-walled portion of the fenders, the lowest sections of the front footwells and the joint where the front floor meets the riser to the rear floor, the cowl skin where the internal U channel decends to the floor (by your feet), the area below the door opening, the join where the wheel box meets the skin over the rear wheel cutout, the baffle behind the rear tires and the inside of the lower section of the windshield frame. That, the last foot and a half of the frame box, the rear cross member and the frame behind the brake proportioning valve mounting plate.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

What is black graphite undercoating? Where do you get it?

Tom

Reply to
mabar