Anti Freeze Muck Up

Last weekend we were out and about and one of Jeeps started to over heat due to a pin hole in the radiatoe hose. Wrapped with some hose repair tape and worked rather well. No biggy right? we always carry spare anti-freeze. Yep, someone had some good old anti-freeze. About a hour later the jeep started to over heat again. We stopped and to our amazement the stuff in the radiatoe looked like the hearshy squirts. Well, to make a long story short after about 3 hours of flushing with water we were able to continue and the jeep was still boarder line.

I started to do some reasearch and found the above article which seemed to explain new and old cannot mix. My friend spent the better part of the next day chemically flushing his jeep and wow what crud. From all appearances the two types of anti-freexe just jelled and really mucked things up. Lesson learned by the group, carry compatible anti-freeze. So we decided to all use the Prestone universal stuff I was coming up on 5 years so it was time to flush. We decided to have a flushing party being responsible and recycling the anit-freeze.

Hopefully all will be well in mudville.

Coasty

Reply to
coasty