Any 225 gurus out there?

I've got a 225 v-6 with a strange problem- anyone out there well-versed with this motor and wants to offer advice?

Thanks,

John

Reply to
JohnM

What's the question?

There are two versions of that motor, and you must know which version you have. One is actually a V6, the other is a V8 with 2 cylinders chopped off. The first is called the 225 Even Fire, the other is the 225 Odd Fire.

You can tell which you have by looking at the distributor, there is space for 8 plug wires on the Odd Fire motor, so there is a visible gap in two locations where the plug wires are missing. The Even Fire motor uses a distributor cap that has only 6 plug wires that are all evenly spaced.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

google jeep commandos and search groups the dauntless v6 is common in those and might lead you in a good direction

-- Jarod Sprauer Talk is JEEP at

281-807-JEEP (5337)

Reply to
IsellJeeps

You should toss out the question, there are a some old farts on this board that still know some things about the old beasts... ;-)

Is it the odd fire or the V6?

Mike

JohnM wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Old Farts ??? hmmmmm Bill ?? :) Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Wow ...now those are some fat tires. Out of curiousity, Bill ...did you by chance know any of the High Rollers crew from (mostly) central Canada? They went down to lots of areas in the US around the 70's-80's and competed in a lot of mud-races (mostly running heavily modified CJ's).

Reply to
griffin

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Ah, ya ...they weren't sand-runners. However, in their mud-running ...from what I hear they almost always won. A guy I work with and offroad with - his dad won quite a few. They got so serious at one point they'd bring trailers of complete "parts" Jeeps so they wouldn't be stuck without a part if one broke during a run.

Sand is still the one thing I haven't really played in ...I'll have to try it out this year. AFAIK there's only one decent sandpit here and it's like

60+km out of town ...god forbid I break down! ;)
Reply to
griffin

225 Odd-fire IS a V6. I've been driving mine for about 10 years now. What's the problem or question?

Cheers, - Jeff G

Reply to
Bubba Kahuna (only 1 'J' in my address)

But a V6 isn't an odd fire......

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

The point, Bill, is that the 225 is available in both the Odd Fire and Even Fire versions.

All Odd Fires are V6s, but all V6s are not Odd Fires.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

That is what I was meaning. Did they even use the even in a Jeep? It doesn't always mean the original 225 is in there, he could have either though.

Mike

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I don't recall if they used it, but it could easily have been transplanted at some point. We still don't know what the question is, and Even fire or Odd fire could be completely moot. My guess is the motor runs poorly because the wrong distributor is being used. But that's just a guess.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Bill, you have an uncanny ability to miss the Very First Post, and subsequently throw out crap that is completely beside the point.

The OP asked if anybody knows about the 225. Period. I was the very first responder, and TOLD him that we need to know which 225 he had, the Even Fire or the Odd Fire.

Because we are talking about a Jeep, and we all know that the 225 V6 is a popular engine of the early Jeeps, and both the even and the odd fires can be used interchangably, and there has been several decades where the engine could have been swapped by a previous owner, and we have no clue as to the actual history of the Jeep we are talking about, it is a very real possibility that either might be installed into the Jeep we are talking about.

We don't know what the OPs question is because he hasn't actually asked one yet, other than, "are there any gurus out there?" It is highly likely that the problem he has is related to having an even fire motor and an odd fire distributor, or vice versa. Surely the distributor caps would not be interchangeable on the distributor itself, but the distributors might be able to be wrongly installed into the different motors.

The distributor uses points, and if the wrong points were used by mistake, then the motor wouldn't run.

The only question asked to date is, "are there any gurus out there?" The answer appears to be, yes, but sadly it isn't me. I only know a very few things, but I know that the even fire and the odd fire are different and can not be mixed. That is, the parts might fit or appear to fit, but they will not work right.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

The Original Post was put up by a guy named John. Let me quote,

I've got a 225 v-6 with a strange problem- anyone out there well-versed with this motor and wants to offer advice?

Thanks,

John

I don't know who Ben is. But I was the very first to Reply.

What's the question?

There are two versions of that motor, and you must know which version you have. One is actually a V6, the other is a V8 with 2 cylinders chopped off. The first is called the 225 Even Fire, the other is the 225 Odd Fire.

You can tell which you have by looking at the distributor, there is space for 8 plug wires on the Odd Fire motor, so there is a visible gap in two locations where the plug wires are missing. The Even Fire motor uses a distributor cap that has only 6 plug wires that are all evenly spaced.

When you can find any fault in this, please do not hesitate to speak up. Until then you will remain, Captain Beside-the-Point.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland