Any experience with Mobil One filters?

I have been putting in Mobil One oil sine I picked up my 97 TJ six years ago. I had been using an extra duty oil filter, unaware that Mobil One had an oil filter. In the fall I put in a Mobil One filter and my oil pressure ran high - over 42#s. The owner's handbook said never to operate vehicle over 40 so this concerned me. I checked to ensure I did not put in to much oil. With the clean oil it can be hard to tell so I drain a tad but the pressure remained high. I left the engine in this condition until my next change in December but went back to the previous oil filter. My pressure never went above 40 with that filter. Strange thing is, with the Mobil One filter the low end of my oil pressure always stayed higher that the previously used filter and I knew this was good. So my question is my fellow Romans: Thumbs UP or Thumbs DOWN on Mobil One oil filters? Thanks, Steve

Reply to
popeyeball

Carroll

2K-TJ

There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer

Reply to
Joe Carroll

Mobil 1 filters seemed to work ok in my Jeep, but when I used it in my Ford Superduty V10 the oil seemed to take a couple extra seconds to make it to the cylinder heads. Might be the difference in design for the different engines, but I switched to Wix and Motorcraft filters in the Ford and I don't get all that valvetrain noise on startup. Unless it's 10 below zero outside, that is.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Plus or minus two pounds is probably the accuracy limit of the pressure metering system (if you're lucky).

If you swear by their oil you should swear by their filter. You and another poster here today should get together and trade secrets of the eternal engine.

I would also recommend you try throttle body spacers, K&N air filters, electric fans, inertia rings, and snake oil.

(I'm sorry, I shouldn't be such a smart a$$.)

Reply to
JimG

Mobil-1's oil filter scored very highly in some recent oil filter tests of filtration abilities. I'm thinking of switching to it.

Jerry

p> I have been putting in Mobil One oil sine I picked up my 97 TJ six

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

It seems that Mobil 1 filters are fairing much better than the Mobil 1 oil on the other posts. Thanks for all your input, especially Joe Carroll with his exhausting and thurough examination of containers, filtation elements, and other features of various filters. This sure beats my test of opening the box and looking down through the hole. In my original statement I wrote a typo of 42# which should have read "quite a bit above 40#". I have decided to stay with the Mobil 1 filter for the opposite reason. I liked the fact that this filter helped keep my idling oil pressure higher. As for what kind of oil I use? I don't dare say here - especially not today. Thank you professors all. Steve

Reply to
popeyeball

Give credit where do...

Copyright © 1996-2003 Russ W. Knize.

Joe simply posted the link. You should pay closer attention.

JimG

Reply to
JimG

Thanks Jim (I'll pay as close attention as I can afford).

Heres two searches on relevant SAE studies of oil filters mentioned in above link created by Russ W. Knize (I don't know how to make a copyright sign):

SAE J1858 (including German study)

SAE J806

popeyeball

Thanks for the credit but I just posted the link ( Russ W. Knize deserves credit) . I do use Mobil 1 and plan to go to Mobil 1 filters next go round... Joe Carroll