any opinions on the Rubicon "Unlimited"

Hi folks,

Commentary in this room helped me a lot last year when I was choosing a barbeque grill (coal truly is the way to go), so I'm hoping to get a little input on the purchase of a Rubicon Unlimited.

My Jeep experience thus far has been a '90 YJ 4.0L, a '95 YJ 2.5L, and a '96 XJ 4.0L (my personal favorite, just before they started making XJs for girls, though I'd still take a redesigned XJ over the KJ any day). Now that gas prices are skyrocketing and hybrids are all the rage, I have the untimely opportunity to get a pretty good deal on a Rubicon Unlimited (is that a VJ?).

I like the Rubicon options, like the tried-and-true 4.0L, the Dana 44; and I think the "Unlimited" extension is pretty cool. I want something I can take off road, but I'm basically a child of the Chrysler era when it comes to Jeep, so I like things like power-steering and CD players, and I'm not obsessed with "the good ol' days" when AMC made Jeeps... so aside from all the epithets against DC (which are probably true), what do you all think about this latest model?

Reply to
L.A. Jeepster

The Unlimited is really a great addition to the Wrangler line. My only complaint with my shorter wheelbase standard Wrangler has been the lack of space for camping gear and spare Jeep parts when I take my son on multi-day camping/offroading trips and the little bit of extra room of the Unlimited would be VERY welcome. That it rides better and has a heavier tow limit are nice benefits too. Some trails I do would be a little tougher with its longer wheelbase but it wouldn't mean I couldn't do them. If I were buying a new Wrangler, I'd go for the Unlimited. I'm not so sure I'd go for the Rubicon version because I'd rather build the axles and install lockers myself but for most offroaders, they're great.

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

As an owner of a SWB Rubicon and a "girly" 01 XJ, I'd say the LWB Rubicon would be a beautiful choice. A blend of the two, if you will. It would have been a tough choice if they had both in Aug/Sept of '02 when I ordered mine. I'd love to have a touch more room.

I find it interesting that you degrade the 97+ XJ (my Sport is no more plush than a Sport TJ) yet you want the creature comforts on the Unltd. where they must seem more masculine to you somehow. :)

BTW, a CD player that will handle mp3 files would be preferred. Has DC caught > Hi folks,

Reply to
twaldron

I recall that being the year when weird things started happening with Jeep... the TJ replaced the YJ, leaf springs were abandoned for coils, and colors like "baby blue" became an option. (People stopped waving at each other that year, too.) Basically, Jeep was trying to appeal to the Honda CRV -driving crowd (i.e., girls) and forgetting about its rock crawling fan base. At least the Rubicon sales pitch attempts to reconnect with the old guard.

Of course, I'm sure people felt the same way when the YJ replaced the CJ. One day we'll all be 4-wheeling in battery-powered trucks anyway.

Reply to
L.A. Jeepster

I remember actively searching for a Jeep in late 80s...I guess it was

1987. The dealerships still had a scant few new CJ7s on the lots with the new YJs all lined up. I remember looking at how low the YJ was in comparison, and also the axles were wider. I did not like the differences, so I understand your point.

I hesitated too long and the CJs disappeared. The last one was a plain jane tan colored with a brown soft top CJ on the lot, but I passed because I liked the Laredos. Ugh! It was a year or so later before I found a beautiful bright red 1985 soft top CJ7 with 900 miles on it (non-Laredo). Later, I eventually had a 90 YJ.

When the new TJ came out, it had the opposite affect on me. I saw a vastly improved soft top, cool round CJ-like headlights and could not get over how well the thing rode with the new coil suspension. I consider the TJ an improvement over the YJ. I think the Rubicon is the creme de la creme of the TJ line, and best out-of-the-box offroader Jeep has ever made. Everyone has their own perspective. But what do I know? I think the XJ Sport is about as spartan and non-girly as you can get in an "SUV".....but it ain't a '71 Bronco! :)

Reply to
twaldron

choosing a

Unlimited (is

So what does this post tell us Bill? is there a specific commentary here? Your posting a link to Jeeps website that compares the Unlimited Rubicon to the Unlimited with a lesser trim package on it. Does this answer the OP's question in any way? A) Your saying the Rubicon version is over priced? B) Your saying the Rubicon version is a better value given the axles, increased ground clearance, etc.? C) Your saying neither are real Jeeps?

Pick one...

Matthewf_boi @ Yahoo dot com '82 CJ7 (Posting with my real email address that I check every day - feel free to flame away)

Reply to
matthewf_boi

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I replaced my 02 TJ Sport with an Unlimited. Given the choice, I would have went for the Unlimited Rubi. Sure I'd miss out on adding all the lockers and axles nad 4:1, but then again, with a 6 mo old baby girl, do i really have time for that?

Although you miss out on the fun of modifying your Jeep, it's probably cheaper to finance it with the price of the vehicle then to add it later. Air lockers, 4:1, 4.11, and the 44 up front aren't cheap upgrades, even if you can do all the work yourself.

Just my $0.02 Chad

Reply to
Chad Fraker

I had an 83/84 CJ7 Laredo. Fun as you can get, but an absolute mechanical nightmare. That was the SMOG/emissions blunder year in Calif. random cutting out. Solenoid actuated carb surging. Spun a tapered axel.

But it could go anywhere: Sierras, Mex, Snow, Beach, crawlin', .... Love that about jeeps.

I had so many carb and computer problems that I finally sold it and bought a '71 Scout II. all it had was a carb with points! No smog crap. Headers and glass packs only (my neighbors loved me for that... uh, no). I could put my dog behind that back seat! No more slobber in the ear as he hung his head out the window. Lots of room for stuff. A massive 392 V8. Yes, I was in heaven for a long time. Only problem was the mileage. 8-10 mpg city, 14mpg HWY. Ouch.

The sea air in Santa Cruz, Calif. finally did in my beloved Scout with terminal Scout rot.

i always loved the scrambler. So, I bought an '04 Unlimited/Hard Top (non rubi) last October.

I absolutely love it.

There's enough room for my 100# Bernese Mountain Dog behind the back seat. Creature comforts galore but still with that jeep ability. Lot's 'o room for Stuff. Really quiet. You can actually hold a conversation on the FWY. Auto Locking hubs (well it's new to me!). Wow, really stable on the FWY.

I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. and I bet the rubi is even better.

- Dustin

Reply to
Dustin Macdonald