Any way to verify a socket's fuse rating?

Hello,

I just replaced my factory radio/cassette with a radio/cd player in a 1994 Jeep Cherokee. The problem is the unit doesn't play when the engine is off and the key is turned to ACCessory (or whatever it is called or the closet thing to it, I don't have the owner's manual and there aren't any markings on the keyhole.) I'm pretty sure the cd worked fine in the previous car when the key was in ACCESSORY) and it works fine when the engine is on in the Jeep. The unit is getting power when the engine is off. (There is a little light that blinks when the radio face plate is removed).

Anyway, I looked up a fuse chart in a CHILTON manual for 1994 Cherokees and there is a listing for a 10 amp fuse labeled for ETR radio/power antenna in the Chilton diagram of the fuse block that looks like the one I have. I don't have the owner's manual and the fuse block doesn't seem to have a cover or anything listing what goes where. I have no idea what an ETR radio is, but google seems to think it stands for 'electronically tunable radio'. The original factory radio was electronically tunable or digital tuning at least and worked fine without the fuse (at least the radio did, I think the cassette is permanently busted). I don't have a power antenna. I'm about to stick a 10 amp fuse in there to see if I can get to work. Any ideas before I fubar everything?

oh and to the people who said aftermarket radios are ugly in a previous thread, yeah it's pretty ugly.

Reply to
New Old Jeep Owner

I'm thinking the ETR fuse powers, in addition to the power antenna, the small amount of juice it takes to keep your radio stations and run the clock etc. It would be hot all the time..

We recently had a thread running about aftermarket radio wiring SNAFUs so be careful when replacing the fuse as it may have been taken out for a reason.

Reply to
billy ray

arrgh the fuse location I mentioned doesn't appear to be connected to anything (it only has one metal contact, the other side is empty plastic)

I'll try to find that thread you are talking about.

"billy ray" wrote in news:ddf43$44416bcf$4831b233$ snipped-for-privacy@FUSE.NET:

Reply to
New Old Jeep Owner

If you send me an e-address I'll forward some info..

The thread subject line was: "86 Cherokee. Need desperate electrical help!!!! plz"

Reply to
billy ray

If the old radio worked in ACC, then the new radio will also work, assuming it is connected to the same power source.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Your stereo has 2 power inputs. One is supposed to be a constant power and the other a switched power.

I would use a multimeter and put it on that one legged 'fuse hole' to see if it is actually the place you are supposed to plug the switched power into. On both of my Jeeps, the power for the radio plugged into a slot just like you describe in the front side of the fuse panel.

The stereo then has it's own inline glass fuse. The glass fuses are on electronics because they will hopefully blow fast enough to protect the electronics. The plastic fuses aren't 'fast' enough.

On my CJ7 the 'radio' slot is in the bottom left corner of the panel, on my Cherokee there are some empty ones that say Batt, Acc and radio. I would be putting the meter in the Acc hole first to see if it is the proper switched power you want. The Batt should be direct 12 volts all the time, don't know about the 'radio' slot.

Mike

New Old Jeep Owner wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Don't confuse a "radio installer" with a mechanic. I have repaired many electrical systems that installers have screwed up by tapping into the first Hot or Acc wire they find without tracking it down to see if it can handle the Amperage. Your stereo could be hooked to anything and probably has no connection to the fuse panel, but pulling fuses individually could narrow it down.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Mechanic.... mechanic? What's a mechanic?

Reply to
billy ray