Anyone replaced a YJ heater core?

Need to replace a heater core in my daughter's 95 YJ, how hard is it? Only other one I've done is a Grand Am, real pain in the ass. If you are going to tell me to take dash out, well I've never done that either, looking more for where the screws are, can I get to them without taking dash out? Her water pump ate itself, so it deffinately need core replaced, tried flushing both ways, got a few spoon fulls of pump to come out, but not all, so has to be stuck in core.

Reply to
Greg

Ouch!

I don't know if a YJ's can be removed from the bottom, the CJ's 'can', but you really need the passenger seat out of the way to get it as well as the radio and glove box.

If you have to remove the dash, the windshield has to be tipped down to get the top bolts.

Check in the engine compartment for the bolts sticking through the firewall with nuts on that side. One is likely dead center behind the valve cover like the CJ's.

Good luck!

Mike

Greg wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I found this which seems to indicate you cane get it through the hood.

"Changing it is simply a matter of disconnecting the ducts and cables, pulling your battery (for clearance) and four bolts that hold your heater box to the fire wall. You should do this with a friend inside holding it cause it'll fall into the jeep with a big clunk."

Good Luck

Reply to
ufatbastehd

No dash removal required for replacing the heater core, though removing the dash is VERY easy...

Second page of this PDF has directions:

Garth Almgren

directions:

I found this too.