Arggg! Do I hate organic Mud! Burning CJ7 front wheel!

Damn, I took my CJ7 for a cruise and came off the highway to a stop light and the old smoke comes just a roaring out of the front hub.

It was as close to a bad fire as 'I' ever want to be to especially with fiberglass inner and outer fenders!

We were into some organic muck on our end of summer run and my wheel hub got packed with it. This crap can be dried into bricks and used as firewood!

So here I am at the 'worst intersection in Toronto Canada for accidents', Warden and Ellesemere, with a hub on fire and the bearings seized up solid so she ain't moving!!!

I have visions of making the evening news..... LOL!

So the smoke finally got let out of the hub and I bumped the clutch hard a few time to free up the bearing and got out of the intersection. Let it cool down and I putted home slow and made it! :-)

I really wish my digital camera wasn't broken..... The guts of this hub are wild. Little charcoal bullets falling out on the ground that used to be roller bearings and a keyed thrust washer that looks like it was made from silly putty it is melted so bad. It actually drooped away and spun... LOL! I will get photos of that for sure!

So I yanked at and spun the other side and it is gritty and floppy too.

Then I see a leak out the pinion seal on the front diff. Hmmm... There shouldn't be a leak out that new seal so I watch. Muddy water.....

Muddy water???!!!!!!! Crap that means the gear oil must be climbing up the high water tube on top of the water....

We had to run through water over the top of my 33's to get to the campsite on the last trip. I got flooded out it would seem.

I also got bogged down in some swamp mud....

Ahhhh.... but it 'was' sooo much fun..... :-)

Mike

Mike Romain

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Sounds like fun! The weirdest thing to have happened to me out trailing was sliding backwards down a pretty steep gradient and digging my exhaust into a mud puddle. As I was pulling all the mud out, a small fish fell out of my exhaust ...still perfectly alive.

Reply to
griffin

I could definately see how that would happen Mike... I was kinda hoping to catch ya on the news though :) LOL I went through a deep water hole with my drain plugs out and we had those water skitters swiming around the back seat LOL Jeff

Reply to
Jeff