Aux fan cycling and no air conditioning

Hi all I have a '97 xj sport 4.0L and the air conditioning only seems to work when the engine is cold. The aux fan kicks in right away but once the Jeep warms up, the fan will cycle on and off (mostly off). Say over the course of a minute the fan will kick on about twenty times but only stays on for a second or two at a time. Just clicks on and off again right away. As far as I know, this is the condenser fan and that would be why the A/C isn't working then. I have read a few old posts that seem to relate to this problem but hav not come across any answers. I tried the dealer and so far I am in for $500. I did get a new fan for that but I installed it myself at their recomendation that the fan was the problem.

Is anyone familiar with this problem and have any solutions?

Thanks. B

Reply to
Beavis

The aux cooling fan is not specifically for the AC condensor, it is for the radiator and kicks in (a) when needed due to engine heat and/or (b) when the AC is switched on.

You have a problem with your A/C, not the aux cooling fan. Your dealer charged you $500 for a new fan that wasn't the problem? Find a new dealer. Find a reputable A/C shop to fix the problem you have with your A/C.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

You would seem to be describing a system that's too low in coolant...

Mike

Mike Romain