Aux. Input for Radio

Looking for a way to install an AUX. Input into the Stock radio of a 97 TJ Wrangler. No, I don't want to use a FM modulator. (Cheesy, piece of crap)

Can it be done? What type of toggle would I need? Do I have to get the toggle from the dealership, or would a parts store have it?? Can it only be done with an aftermarket deck?

Reply to
markdgordon2002

Possible but not worth doing. You would have to rip the radio apart and find where the tuner output is connected to the amplifier. It is probably part of a printed circuit board too. Then wire in another circuit to feed both channels of stereo from your AUX device. The good news is that you don't really need a toggle. A stereo mini-plug serves for this.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

You would have to open up the radio and install the electronics for an input circuit. It can be done, but it is difficult. You basically would have to re-design the radio.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain

If you have a tape deck, you can buy an adapter that converts a mini jack to a tape. Works will most MP3, CD, Ipods and laptops.

I have > You would have to open up the radio and install the electronics for an

Reply to
CarlSaiyed

I also have one for our CD. It works well. That way we can have a 'sport' CD that never skips in our CJ7. The cassette tape drive is garbage due to all the dust, but it works well for the adapter.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

does your radio have changer controls? if so, then there are a few products to allow your to tap into the changer line. these have become especially popular for the satelite radio crowd.

something like this:

thats is the 1st google hit, i'm not endosing this product or seller.

you COULD hack it yourself, but there is fairly little data on how. the problem isn't getting audio into the thing, it is getting the head unit to think you have a changer so it goes into the mode where it takes signal from the changer line.

if you already have a changer, then you can put a toggle (radioshack should have one that will work for a

Reply to
ryan.j.earley

Try this website:

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

If you have any clue about the internal circuitry of the stock radio, you could splice in Aux Inputs.

No, the stealership will NOT have the parts needed for such a project. Can you say, customized?

An after market deck with them already built in would be the easiest way to do this. I assume you're trying to add in an XM receiver, or Sirius. I use my XM with the XM cigarette lighter power supply/FM modulator, and my radio accepts this solution very well. My modulator even seems able to overpower the FM station that sometimes comes in on the channel I selected. I also used the cassette adaptor, and it worked really well too. My brother has the XM SkiFi that wires in to the radio through the antenna wire. This system costs more that the Roady that I use, but it works way, that's W-A-Y, better. And, no new head unit is required.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I installed an auxiliary input in my 2004 TJ. The key is your radio must have the CD changer jack on the back of the radio. The hardest part was trying to plug the cable into the back of the radio without removing the radio. I could not figure out how to remove the radio so I removed the glove box door and the lower dash panel to the left of the radio and reached behind the radio from each side and stabbed the cable into the jack. It was not easy but the aux. input works great for my Palm T5 playing MP3's. Rick

Reply to
Rick Ankrum

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Back in the day when CDs were new, I had an FM modulator that wired in between the antenna and the radio. It worked really well compared with the FM trasmitter types. I think you can find them today for DVD players.

Reply to
Art

I looked into one of those for my Jeep because I really hate having the wire from that cassette adapter hanging out of the dash. The guys at Circuit City said the cassette adapters work a lot better and the FM adapters tend to introduce a LOT of noise, and these were the kind that wire in.

I believe him, he talked me out of a sale.

However when we talked further and he found out what radio I had (a nice old Pioneer), he found an adapter that connects to a square port in the back of the radio that adds a couple of RCA jacks. Works great, but it doesn't really help Mark because he has a factory radio.

Jeff DeWitt

Art wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

How do I know I have the CD changer jack?? What does it look like?? Is it the one that is white and some what of a Square???

Reply to
markdgordon2002