AX-5 assembly diagram help ?

A while back I posted about my desire to strip down my AX-5 from a '93 YJ. Bill.. it's done and down to the cluster(s), finally.

In memorandum... my symtoms were referred as a blocked shift in 2-3 which most write off to the syncronizers. What I did find so far was a split main input shaft bearing cluster. I am no machinist, but the gears all look fine. Nevertheless, I do intend trip to a machine shop up the street because I'm an electrical engineer. I don't have the guts to disect the thing that hates me most in life (gears).

While I am confident that after a pass on the internals I can reassemble it from memory, an assembly diagram besides the generic parts ones you see on line would be useful. Is there any available help here?

Yes, a description of what a syncronizer fault looks like would be useful, too. A hair line crack virtually invisible to the human eye might explain things. However, a vibrating main shaft is not going to make friends when it comes to gear changes. It's possible another symptom, a loud wearling sound in 5th was due to the resonance formed on the main shaft(?). Low gear... low enough frequencies...?

Despite those that may claim I am clinically insane and are probably right, I figure I will knock of a days shop labour with this tranny assembly dissembly feat. I only did so with the grace of God and a father (being a plumber) who showed me that there is more to life than getting things apart than with a maul.

Thanks for any future responses.

Fabe

Fabian Hartery CBS, NL

Reply to