Axle angle in my 89 YJ

Hi everyone,

I'm about to put my YJ back on the road, but I need to do a few repairs to it. Main one being the culprit for breaking it in the first place - drive line angle.

My lift was home made by creating longer shackles. I figure I have 3 options for fixing this:

Shim the axles back to the proper angle Drop the transfer case Create longer brackets for the leaf springs

I am looking for the cheapest, best option, and I will remove the body in order to repair the frame, so access will not be a problem. I also have to change the rear leaf's, so I will be getting right into the axle assembly anyways. What are the pro's and con's of each? I have a feeling that using shims is the best bet, dropping the transfer case would make my front drive shaft angle really messed and reduce the clearance, and longer brackets will give me some more (unwanted) lift and might force me to muck around with brake lines, ect.

Summer is almost here, and I am in serious Jeep withdrawl. The Cherokee just doesn't cut it!

Many thanks, Chris

Reply to
Christian Fry

One more option is to take those damn shackles out - I saw the post below and I'm wondering if the part where I say "I also have to change the rear leaf's" might be caused by those shackles - Then again, one side was always sagging a little low.

So that's what I'll do. Maybe I'll just lift the body an inch or so... Any comments?

Regards, Chris

Reply to
Christian Fry

how about getting a suspension lift kit? it may be easier than fixing all the other stuff. i'm not sure how much you want it lifted but i've had a

2.5" kit on my cj7 for the past 6 years with no problems... just a thought..
Reply to
serg

Toss the shackles and get a proper suspension.

Reply to
Jerry McG