Bad harmonic balancer?

In all my years of driving I thought I've had everything break that could, but now have a new one.

For the past few weeks I've been hearing a new noise from my engine, and I'd pretty much convinced myself that it was the bearing in the AC compressor bracket that supports the fan... after all the Jeep DOES have something like 330,000 miles on it so weird things are going to break, and the fan does have a little wobble to it.

One of the noises is a "tink tink tink" as the fan gently hits the harmonic balancer.

After finding the right part (I think) at the local pick a part now I'm not so sure that's what the problem is.

Looking at it again tonight it looks like the harmonic balancer is wobbling a bit, that can't be good.

Any of you had one of these go bad? What are the symptoms?

Thanks!

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Don't rule out the main bearings going bad. This will allow the whole crank, balancer, pulley, and etc to bounce up and down a little.

Hope yours IS just the balancer, though.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

If your clutch fan has play it's about the eat your radiator. It is common for the pulley to come lose from the balancer and spin, replace it:

God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

I had a V8 Chevy balancer separate and cut into the timing chain cover.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

Reply to
philthy

yep

You can check to see if it's the mains bearings by getting under the jeep and trying to move the hb forward and back from the engine. it shouldn't travel more than about 1/16"

The signs are worn belt (from misalignment) rough idle (since it's not balancing properly) rubbing bits (like your fan blade hitting it)

The HB is two bits of iron sammiching a bit of rubber. That rubber is what cracks and slips.

Reply to
DougW

Yep, I replaced one that was bad enough to eat the timing cover. You'd think they might have heard that one....

Reply to
Jon