Bad Heim Joint

Hey all,

The heim joint on my Rubicon Express track bar is getting loose and needs to be replaced. I'm pretty sure I can find one locally, but a quick web search reveals many options. I like the look of these joints with greaseable ends:

Does anyone know if there is anything special about the joint? How about these greaseable joints? Cost is not an issue because the labor, mine , is worth a whole lot more than a few bucks on a joint.

tia Dean

98 TJ with 30K miles on a RE 4.5" lift.
Dean

I think you will have to have a custom bar made to fit any custom joint. The track bar is all one piece on any Jeep I know about, an expensive piece too.

I know my local Jeep shop makes custom ones with replaceable ends.

Mike

Dean wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I have never seen any track bar looking like that on any J**P I've seen, You would need to find a shop to custom build it. As for the factory bar, they run around $350.00 canadian depending on source.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Here's a picture of what I've got:

Except it isn't all shiny and new . I know it's the heim joint because when someone rocks the jeep and you can see the outer race move over the inner race, and it "clicks" at the same time.

Dean

Reply to
Dean

Guys, he has a Rubicon Express trackbar that already has a threaded-in Heim joint... the factory trackbar is gone. :)

Jerry

Snow wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Cool, a custom one!

Well I for sure wouldn't go back to the manufacturer that sold junk that wears out really fast (Just changed mine out at 305,000 km) and like the idea of the greaseable joint. As long as you can match the threads and depth needed for any adjusting.

Mike

Dean wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

The tapered section right next to the ball may be part of the joint rather than an add on insert. We use that type for high articulation joints in the off road race cars we build. Regular ball joint ends only have flex of about 25 degrees or so, the longer center section is relieved to allow 35 degrees plus. These are available, just harder to find and more money.

Dean wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ

Heim joints are notoriously lousy. Standard ball joints are tougher, but they don't flex real well. RE's 'Heavy Duty' track bar has a much better joint. That bar only costs a few bucks more than the RE heim joint bar, though you do need a custom frame mount bracket.

This is your RE1600 track bar with the heim joint:

Here's the RE1610 heavy duty bar and the required RE1611 bracket

The 1610 has a greaseable, rebuildable 'Super-Flex' joint. The poly races can be replaced for about ten bucks. The joint itself should last forever:

I'd say order a new RE1610 & RE1611 and put your old RE1600 up on ebay. As an added bonus, the RE1610 can adjust out a bit farther than the RE1600 should you ever choose to lift higher.

Steve

Dean wrote:

Reply to
Steve

i used a teflon-lined alloy heim joint from

- cost about $60, and requires no lubrication. it's been on for well over a year, and not a peep from it.

Reply to
Chuck Bremer