Bad odor coming from AC vents

I've had a musty "rotten eggs" odor coming from the vents in my '95 GCL for about 2 months now. Its usually strongest on engine startup with the fan blowing on high, but then subsides somewhat after about 15 min. (maybe I'm just getting used to the smell). I've had a serious AC freon leak for the last 2 months as well, and I am working on finding where it is....but not sure if this is causing the odor or just a coincidence. I also recently replaced the radiator. I've owned the Jeep for 10 yrs. but this is the first time I've ever smelled this odor.

I've heard this could be mold & mildew growing in my AC vents, or maybe a bad heater core. It's definitely coming from the vent ducts...the carpet smells normal. Any ideas?

Reply to
TJM

Somewhat normal for the evaperator in car air conditioners to get foul smelling. One way I've read is to turn the ac off but leave the blower running to dry it out before shutting the car off. About your leak, did it start about the time you replaced the radiator? If so then you disturbed something. Maybe a fitting or something.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

It is mold/mildew growing inside the HVAC system. Turn the fan on high, making sure the system is not in recirculate mode, then spray Lysol into the HVAC's air intake located under the windshield in front. Spray for 15-20 seconds, then turn the fan off and let it stay undisturbed inside the HVAC system the rest of the day... don't turn the fan on for a while. You may need to do this every couple or once a week for a few weeks to completely kill off the mold or mildew that has taken root inside the ducting. The Jeep dealer would use the same procedure using some expensive aerosol spray that is similar to Lysol.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Thanks for the tip.....Lysol sounds like a cheap & easy solution.

Does it really help to shut off the AC a few minutes before shutting off the engine? I imagine the evaporator would be quite moist from all the condensation on a humid day. Water breeds mold & mildew, so this theory makes sense.

Are there any health hazards from breathing mold or mildew spores?

Reply to
TJM

Shutting the a/c off a little sooner might help but a little Lysol once in a while works fine too. Breathing high concentrations of mold or mildew isn't exactly healthy... but recent studies proved that the huge mold and mildew issue in houses that had water damage was way overblown. Monthly preventive strikes with Lysol ought to keep the little mold spores very unhappy with their environment.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

of persons becoming > infected from auto air conditioners or household window air-conditioning units."

Well....that makes me breathe a little easier, but I'd hate to be the first case of someone getting Legionnaire's Disease from an auto A/C unit!!

Reply to
TJM

I had this problem. First of all, make sure that the water drain is clear. Not sure on a GRC, but on an XJ, it drains out from the firewall and drips down over various engine and suspension parts.

Run it in the "vent" position when using the Lysol. You don't want the evaporator to be cold when you do this as it will just add to the frozen, moldy mess. It should be thawed out beforehand. Also, MAKE SURE YOUR WINDOWS ARE OPEN WHEN YOU DO THIS!

I don't know what part of the country you are in, but it seems to be worse in humid areas. I live in Southern Calif. which is generally arid, but I live near the beach, so we get our share of muggy.

Now then, it it just me or do all the assorted "new" Lysol scents smell like bad cologne? I seem to have trouble finding the original scent in the market these days. It is the only one I can tolerate.

Regards,

DAve

Reply to
DaveW

I live in PA, and we've had a pretty muggy summer too....plenty of moisture to condense on automotive evaporator coils and promote mold & mildew growth!

I will make sure I buy the "Strawberry & Peaches" Lysol for this job......

Reply to
TJM

Reply to
mic canic