ball hitch with extra long shank

does there exist a ball hitch receiver with a very long shank, like 14" or more? i'm not referring to the overall length, but just the length of the shank tube that has the receiver pin holes. thanks

Reply to
asdf asdf

You can get a drawbar in a longer length..is that what you mean? Not sure why you would want the receiver to be longer. ___________________________________________________________ tw

71 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco 03 TJ Rubicon - Rubicon Express 4.5" 01 XJ Sport

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

-- Dave Barry

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase') A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80-inch wheelbase,

1/4-ton capacity, and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II.

(Please remove the OBVIOUS to reply by email) ___________________________________________________________

asdf asdf wrote:

Reply to
twaldron

Yes,

Billy Ray

I got one a walmart. I use it with light trailers so I don't have to remove my spare tireto hitch up, but using it cuts the load rating in half. My hitch is a class 3 style, but I have a tendency to overbuild stuff.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

It's a good idea to keep the load rating in mind, when using any of this stuff. I am sure you could buy enough stuff at Walmart, Autozone, Camping World, etc. to extend a two inch receiver by six feet or more. This doesn't mean that it would be safe, or even work.

Earle

Stupendous Man wrote:

Reply to
Earle Horton

asdf asdf wrote: "does there exist a ball hitch receiver with a very long shank, like 14" or more? i'm not referring to the overall length, but just the length of the shank tube that has the receiver pin holes."

The hitch receiver for definition is the piece that mounts on the vehicle. The hitch or ball mount is the draw bar that slides in the hitch.

From what I gather you want to extend your load out an additional 14 inches. If so look for a an extension or as you want have one made.

Here area couple of sights.

Works on lawn tractors

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge

I actually have one that is an adapter to a cargo carrier. It allows me to keep the cargo carrier folded up and tow a trailer. When not towing a trailer I can use the cargo carrier in it's down position. Not sure how much extra length it adds, but it does add some. I bought this hitch adapter at JCWhitney.com

Reply to
One out of many daves

I think I know where you are going with this. I had to extend my cargo carrier beyond my oversized spare tire. I ended up making one, but you can buy them. I refer to it as a ball mount extension.

JimG

Sorry I was probably not clear enough the first time, and was probably not using the proper terms either. Let me try again...

I have a rear tire carrier with oversize spare, so I need an extended ball mount with about 16" of length from receiver hole to ball hole. Every ball mount I have found is too short, it will not extend far enough past the spare tire. Also, a regular extension will not work because the bike carrier I want to use is the clamp on type that attaches to a class 3 draw bar.

So I think what I want is a ball mount with a longer "draw bar". Basically I want to be able to have the bike carrier attached to the draw bar and also be able to tow a small trailer using the tow ball.

I did look at hitch bike racks that have a builtin tow ball (on a hinge), but I would not trust that design to tow my motorcycle nor do I believe are they designed for that.

Reply to
asdf asdf

  1. Remove spare and bolt to trailer
  2. Install front hitch for either bikes or spare (consider air flow to radiator)
  3. Install bike on trailer when you wish to take both along
  4. Bike might attach to spare (not sure of trailer clearance)

Just thinking out loud! ;-) later, dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
One out of many daves

Thanks but for various reasons none of those options will really work for me.

Someone said you can get longer length draw bars, I'd be very interested in finding out where...

Reply to
asdf asdf

Reply to
Jim Gemmill

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I think he mentioned he was going to be hauling a motorcycle but I don't recall if he was hauling it in a trailer.

Extra long tongues surely make control more difficult but if his intent was to built or extend a cradle for the bike's front wheel it would not make that much difference would it?

Reply to
Billy Ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

How often did you get that Ford off-road?

Reply to
Billy Ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Yea I already came across the extended one they offer:

but it's still a bit too short. Suprisingly even at 13" it does not appear to give up much towing capacity, it's rated at 7500 lbs. tow and

750 lbs tongue which is way more than enough for my needs, so I'm thinking the little bit more length I need should be ok.

I will probably contact them about a longer one though, since they seem to be one of the few companies offering an extended draw bar of this type, and keep looking around for others.

Reply to
asdf asdf

Reply to
Jim Gemmill

Well, I went browsing through JCWhitney again and came across this bar which I apparently missed during my first search there...

It's 16" Long; 2-3/4" Rise; 4" Drop; 6000/600 Weight

There are a couple others of similar length with different drops, seems like exactly what I need without sacrificing towing capacity!

Thanks.

Reply to
asdf asdf