Banks Header Install??

Just got my Banks Torque Tube header in from FedEx today for my 97 Sahara Edition TJ.

Any tips on installing the group would like to offer? I've seen a few write ups of installs for vehicles other than the TJ. Anyone know of a site showing the TJ install process?

Thanks for the help.

Brad Fuqua snipped-for-privacy@milsoft.com

Reply to
Brad Fuqua

i dont know of a site nor have I installed one my self but my mechanic that does this for me on my used Jeeps says he takes off the motor mount on the left side and installs it under the jeep instead of taking everything off on top he says it saves a lot of time. hope this helps

Reply to
IsellJeeps

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Brad Fuqua did pass the time by typing:

Biggest tip I can give is to wipe that dang header down with a rag. Mine came covered in teeny tiny stainless steel splinters. :O

Test fit, use antisieze on the bolts, and follow the correct torque sequence.

Bill gave you the link to my pics, never did a full writeup but I did post a bit to the group. Google should find it.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

That slideshow was made by a Microsoft tool. Figures. Netscape 7.1 shows most of it.

Direct links.

DougW

DougW did pass the time by typing:

oops

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

np. Not everyone out there uses microslop.

Reply to
DougW

Well, my 2 cents....I always use Mozilla. Browsers aside....Doug, isn't your install for a ZJ? I'm hoping to find someone who's worked on the TJ....although I guess it is the same engine and all.

So, any TJ owners got any tips on installing the Banks Torque Tube?

Brad

Reply to
Brad Fuqua

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Brad Fuqua did pass the time by typing:

Yep, but the I6 is the I6 is the I6. 99% of the parts are in the same place and the torque spec is identical.

Yep. The venerable I6 with slight changes to the intake rail and coil.

Reply to
DougW

I6 is the I6 is the I6 OK then would a 1999 header fit a 2000? I do not care for the 2000 headers (both Borla and Banks) they are two piece and have very short tubes. They just do not look much more efficient than the original manifold. My tube to the cat does not have any mini cats so I would not be circumventing the law. This is all leading to a supercharger and I want everything as eficiant as possible. Thanks to the whole group both the pros and those that ask the questions I did not even know I had. - Allen

Reply to
bushman

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Bolt pattern and head pattern is the same so I'd say the chances are excellent. As with any application you might have to grind, cut, or weld.

OEM inventory indicates 99-04 are identical but are two piece also.

93-96 single unit (crack pipes) 97-98 single unit (added bellows to help prevent cracks) 99-04 (shows as front/rear and bloody expensive $300 ea!) (found some for less than that $200 at
but sheesh! Guess that's how they fixed the cracking problem.

They are usually designed to be a direct drop-in replacement for the average wrenchmonkey.

Usually Banks won't bother making something unless they can make it better. Dunno about Borla. Of course better="larger tube" for the most part.

Off hand I'd say you would have to have a system built to get really efficent or fit a try-y style like shown here

DougW

Thanks Doug I'll be a happier person as soon as I learn to weld. Welders don't have to compromise in life. "I did it my waaaayyyyy!"

- Allen

Reply to
bushman

bushman did pass the time by typing:

I'm looking at the smaller 115V Miller MIG welder and plasma cutter. Just enough for body and light fabrication. Lawn carts, bikes, chairs, patio furnature, birds made out of shovels and picks.. etc.

Right now, my budget got tagged by a leaf/branch muncher. No more raking this year! :D Sears 77099 6.5hp lawnvac. Gave it a run around the yard tonight and did it suck. ^_^

Reply to
DougW