Battery for 90 XJ

Hello all,

I am going to replace my battery soon and wondered if any of you had any suggestions on a type or brand of battery that would be the best. I do not do much off road and the only addition I have to my system is a Boston Acoustics amplifier going directly to my battery

I am also going to change my oil from Quaker State 4x4 synthetic to possibly Chevron. Any suggestions on oil or oil additives such as Lucas and Marvel Mystery Oil?

Finally, I also might be changing my Fuel Injectors and would appreciate any advice

Thanks,

LTK

Reply to
ltkaknm

Consumer Reports rated batteries last November. They did not rate Group 58, can you fit a 65?

Reply to
billy ray

I use the largest and highest CCA battery with the longest waranty that PepBoys sells. Reason is the stores are all over so replacement isn't a problem. I also pull quite a bit from the battery. :) see .sig. pics of the system are actually on the supercharge page.

Stay away from them. If they were any good for your engine they would be included in the oil to begin with.

I run WallyWorld pure synthetic, which is basically QuakerState rebranded.

Reply to
DougW

I've always used Die Hards. My last one lasted EIGHT years.

Some people swear by Optima batteries, cuz they're hard to kill.

I've never had a problem NOT using additives ;-) Just change it before it goes bad ;-p

(yes, I know, I'm an emoticonaholic)

Noneyabusiness

Doug, What weight do you run?

Reply to
billy ray

about 189 but I'm trying to cut back.

..oh..

10W30

:)

Reply to
DougW

I wish I was 189. I'd be normal weight if I was 6' 8"

I was th>> Doug, What weight do you run?

Reply to
billy ray

The Jeep currently has 5W30 in it. A local dealership had a cheap oil change going on and I didn't notice what they put in till later that day. I haven't had any problems with the oil even though 5w30 is more for freezing and below. both 10W30 and 5W30 are 30 weight at operating temperature, the 5 just means it flows better at lower temperature.

I have had the Jeep in 10-20 below weather with 10W30 synthetic and didn't have any problem with oil pressure.

Reply to
DougW

I ran across this a while back when looking at API info.

If you want to see who holds the API license on your favorite brand of motor oil see, this is a large page and takes a bit to load:

There is lots of interesting info in its 215 pages including that only 5 of Amsoil's oils have API certification and in another area the cost of certification is quite low.....$850 for members and $1050 for non members and $0.0015 per gallon AFTER the first million gallons.

I recently installed a Wal-Mart EverStart Maxx battery it has a 3 year free replacement warranty and was rated by Consumer Reports in the top 3 in all the sizes tested.

I've not used any oil additives in ..... hmmmmm.... at least a decade, maybe two....

If you are thinking that you have sludge, gum, varnish, or just plain schmutz (dirt that moves) you might try switching to synthetic oil as it has a higher cleaning ability than dino spit or diesel motor oil. The diesel oil will perform more thorough cleaning and do it faster. You may want to replace the filter (only) part way through the oil change interval.

Rotella T, Delo, and Delvac are made from Group III base oil which is superior to the Group I and II used for most automobile motor oils and MUCH higher levels of detergents. All are available in 10w-30 if you want to stay in that grade or in 5w- if you go to synthetic (Group IV) base.

Before you replace your injectors you should try cleaning them first. There are a few cleaners that I have used and have confidence in including Berryman B12 Chemtool, BG44K, SeaFoam, and Techron Cleaner Concentrate (not cleaner with Techron which is diluted stuff)

This procedure came from Pat Goss on Motor Week,

Add a can to a full tank of gasoline, run that tank until it is as low as you dare drive, refill with just gasoline and run that tank until it is as low as you dare drive, then repeat the next tank with one of the above cleaners and run that tank until it is as low as you dare drive.

You may want to add one of the cleaners once or twice a year and run that tank until it is as low as you dare drive to keep the injectors clean.

The gasoline companies now are required to add cleaner to their gas but most only allow the minimum amount allowed by law.

Anyone interested in a copy of the motor oil report, or the newest Consumer Reports report on batteries or on car wax send me an e-address where you can receive attachments

Reply to
billy ray

Do you live near the San Francisco Bay Area? I could make you a real deal on a new SUV DieHard as long as you use the same one that fits the

1995 Grand Cherokee. How much? If you are married, think of having a spare battery sitting around where your wife can see it.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

It is possible that in their history Consumer Distorts has never screwed up a comparison test or ratings, but I seriously cannot remember one on any subject where I actually knew something about the brands or technologies involved.

billy ray proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

DougW proclaimed:

How much extra do they charge for synth? Local dealer offers 24.95 for oil and filter changes plus a brief one millisecond long "total vehicle inspection" but will upgrade that to synth blend for $5 extra.

Reply to
Lon

Noneyabusiness proclaimed:

I've used Die Hards mainly because I usually live near a good big Sears store and if it does hiccup I can get it replaced pretty much anywhere in the USofA. And because I usually buy a new one every 4-5 years by watching for them to go on sale at about 4 years of service. Plus they do a charge check for free if you tell them the vehicle had to be jumpstarted. Other than that, there are several other good brands that tend not to fall apart too often.

Only a bit more expensive than the Die Hards at the Sears around here. If I was feelthy rich enough to spend more time on the trails and used the laptop and cooler more, would probably spend the extra 10 bucks.

Reply to
Lon

Didn't ask. The coupon was for a $15 oil change and I usually run dino for about 2000 miles then drain and put in synthetic myself. I basically use the dealership offer like a cheap oil flush by dropping in some seafoam just before I drive it to get serviced.

Reply to
DougW