Battery going dead!

88 Cherokee 4.0 IL 6 Auto trans. High miles - 300,000 + Always been dependable!

I haven't been using the jeep very much do to illness here and don't need both vehicles. This ones not the economy king so it sits. After a couple of days the battery runs down. So far I have removed the dome light thinking we might be leaving the door ajar or neighbor kid might be looking for change again, no help. Removed the light bulb in the glove box, still no help. I have removed the fuse for the clock and still have the draw on the battery. Checked draw with digital VOM, I have a 280mA draw on battery, enough to light a test probe light when in series with the neg. cable from the battery.

It is not a problem with the battery because I have switched it out with the battery from the other car and it is drawn down. When I charge the jeep battery, and load test, the battery shows to be ok. Looking at the wiring diagram I don't see any other possible draw with the key out of the ignition switch. I haven't added any accessories that would be a direct draw on the battery. What am I missing, other than a sence of humor right now. What could be drawing 280mA all the time? TIA, Open to all suggestions.

Rick

Reply to
*Rick*

Could be the under hood light if you have one fitted.Lift hood touch bulb, if it is hot it shows bulb is always on.

Reply to
DougB

The radio and engine computer both keep a small drain going, I'm not sure if they'd total over a quarter-amp as your draw is but maybe.

*Rick* wrote:
Reply to
Jerry Bransford

You are correct... 280mA is much too high a standby current. If you have monitored the current after each fuse has been removed with no current reduction... you might try removing the "BATT" connection to the alternator. Maybe you have a leaky diode in the rectifier pack. Just a thought...

Professor

Professor

No light fixture under the hood on my model.

Thanks for the thought. Still open to suggestions!

Rick

Reply to
*Rick*

You can just leave the battery cable disconnected until the weather clears/heath improves, no sense laying in the snow if you don't need to.

Reply to
billy ray

Made sense to me so I grabbed the 10mm wrench and removed the BAT. connection at the alternator. I'm sorry to report that the draw is still there. Thank you for what sounded like a very possible solution.

By the way the current didn't change as I removed the fuses.

I'm very open to sugestions still.

Rick

Reply to
*Rick*

Don't care if I never see another snow shovel. Lived in Ohio for 34 yrs. and now live in Florida. Current temp. is 67 degrees F, wind 9mph ENE under clear skies. Not a bad day to get this taken care of.

I know, there goes the sympathy. :-) If it makes you feel better, I would rather be fishing.

Rick

Reply to
*Rick*

Pull all of the fuses, and see if you still have draw. This will isolate all of your fused circuits which is the largest part to troubleshoot. If the draw is gone, then add one fuse at a time until you find the one or ones that are causing the draw. If you still have a draw with all the fuses out you have eliminated a huge part of the puzzle.

Reply to
Rusted

yeah I was thinking alt too. :-(

check the latch relay near the ign. coil. Might be one of those relays causing a draw.

good luck!

Reply to
One out of many daves

I put the (DVOM) amp meter in line and pulled the fuses. Draw went from 280mA to 6 point 25 amps when I removed fuse labled ETR(?). Thats good for me. Then I reinstalled all but the 10amp fuse for ETR. Everything seems to work. What is ETR? I don't see it on diagrams that I have.

Rick

Reply to
*Rick*

Electronically Tuned Radios This circuit is always hot.

Reply to
billy ray

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 16:17:52 -0500, billy ray wrote: Thanks, billy ray, I can live without that. Might get to go fishing this weekend after all. Thank you, to all that replied.

Rick

Reply to
*Rick*

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
FrankW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III
49 degrees in michigan in the am and went up 54 then drop off once nite fall came

*Rick* wrote:

Reply to
philthy

Reply to
philthy

Thanks for all that replied. The draw was the ETR "Electronically Tuned Radios" fuse that caused the draw. Removed the fuse everything seems to work. Battery is staying up, I'll figure it out later when I trace what is connected to this fuse, but it works for now. Thanks again.

Rick

Reply to
*Rick*