Beefed up Flex plate

Need source of custom flex plate for 86 XJ Cherokee with 2.8L (externally balanced). Need a heavier duty flex plate than OEM as I've torqued off 4 of them over the years. Any sources (including NHRA spec'd.) would be appreciated

Reply to
Rich Hampel

L.W.(ßill)

I gotta wonder how you have managed to rip through 4 flex plates. Is there something else we oughta be lookin at? Torque converter unbalanced, locating pins missing from engine block, something along these lines..... most cars make it to their death bed with the original flexplate.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Newton

I use the vehicle for long haul and dont need the low end torque; besides, the price was 'right' for a long block GM 2.8L. Ive already broken 4 flex plates in 2 other engines and know that the NHRA spec. uses a 30% thicker plate, but cant find a source for an external balanced of this thickness. Yup, also broke the plate in a internally balanced ..... its a poorly designed flex plate to begin with in either balance configuration . I havent found a salvage yard plate that didnt have micro-cracks so Im looking for at least new made aftermarket one.

So.... if anyone knows of an aftermarket provider who will build a

30% thicker plate, Im willing to try it.
Reply to
Rich Hampel

Nope, the 2.8 external balanced is notorious for cracking flex plates. Its a 'fatigue' thing as the nonsymmetric 'hole' pattern in the plate leads to quite a field of concentrated stress zones at the crankshaft mounting surface. The unsymmetric hole pattern probably causes the plate to strain unevenly .... it always cracks 180deg from the welded-on bob weight.

Reply to
Rich Hampel

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)