bent frame ?

Well,,, driving to work this morning (after a cold snap) I hit some ice on an overpass,started fish tailing thought I was gettin' her back under control until I came off the over pass and hit regular pavement - boy did it get squirrelly then! Scary stuff thought I was going to end up on my side --- luckily she spun around and nailed the passenger side rear corner at about 40 mph.

The contact point was on the rear bumper's corner and it folded it in really good. This is an aftermarket bumper made out of rectangular stock with .12" thickness. The tire carrier is no longer flush with the tailgate, (driver's side contact point is 1/2" away).

So I'm thinking that the frame is bent - although there is no 'pulling' while driving or braking.

What is the best way to check for a bent frame?

tia paul

93 YJ 2.5" OME 33 x 9.5 BFG's
Reply to
paul

Part time four wheel drive sucks on ice, doesn't it? If your spare tire is mounted in the stock location, it is mounted to the body, while the bumper is mounted to the frame. Another real likely possibility is that your body is knocked loose on the frame, with possible bent body mount bolts and/or elongated or ripped bolt holes.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

It is an aftermarket bumper with the tire carrier attached to it.

Didn't take my hands off the wheel to shift the transfer case into 4 high because I was desperately swinging the wheel back and forth trying to regain control :-( I also immediately removed my foot from the accelerator and didn't touch the brakes - it all happened really fast.

paul

Reply to
paul

OK I get it now. If the distance from your spare tire to your tailgate has changed, then chances are real good that your body is no longer sitting properly on the frame. Check your body mounts for signs that they are tweaked.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Educational experience, wasn't it? I learned long ago to get one hand on the shift, one on the wheel on ice - two hands lets you really oversteer on ice.

One thing to think about is the gas pedal. My first experience with 4wd on ice was in an old Scout and I figured - like most newbies - that with 4wd I could go anywhere, anytime, at any speed. Well, I could go alright but the other part of the process (stopping) really got my attention in a hurry. All was well until I tried to slow and stop. As soon as I let off the gas, all 4 lost traction. Never thought about it, but engine braking requires the same touch as accelerating or normal braking. If you are going (too) fast and suddenly get all the way off the gas, you induce a skid just as if you suddenly hit the brakes. I see too much of this. All under control but going too fast so get off the gas - oops, now I'm sliding!

Reply to
Will Honea

The only contact/ impact point was the bumper - think this would cause the body to shift? I will take a look and see if there is noticeable movement,,,, not today we got single digit temperatures and below zero wind chill. The air temperature here (Milwaukee) dropped about 50 degrees in under 12 hours ..... when is spring coming?

Will - you are correct- definitely an educational experience- I keep thinking of things that I could have / should have done differently,, but the damage is done, unfortunately I am now aware of a numbness in my left arm and an ache on the right side of my jaw,,,, I didn't bounce around, but the impact was substantial - now the wife is trying to tell me that the jeep is too dangerous of a vehicle - I told her I will remind her of that when the top is down and the doors are off and she's wanting me to drive her XJ to work so she can drive the YJ :-/

Reply to
paul

There is a chance that the body would shift under those conditions. It does weigh quite a bit. Another thing you could do is take it to an alignment shop to see if the steering or tracking is now out of whack. Or have somebody follow you in another car, to see if it looks like you are going sideways. You can't always tell these things from inside the vehicle.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Put it up on a lift and look at it...preferably with the help of a trained professional.

-- Old Crow "Yol Bolson!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow

Washed the salt off it ( I was looking like a powdered doughnut) took it to a friends autobody place (inside and heated)

Found that the part of the frame that arches over the rear axle is buckled at the 'top' or the arc (actually on the bottom of it but at the highest point)..... this is good and would explain why there is no weird vibration.... better still I was quoted 2 cases of beer and a Saturday sometime during the next month to have it fixed!! He has a frame puller! He said he could stretch it out to limo size if needed. :-/

Also noticed that the rubber frame isolators show signs of stress/ movement - so it appears that things did shift a bit. Might be a good time to replace all of these and square things back up - anyone replace the body mount cushions? Tough job? Special tools? Or just go at it one connection point at a time?

thanks paul

Reply to
paul

This depends on where you live. Rust belt or not? Try some penetrating oil on the threads a couple days before you do the job. Remember that the body mounts do flex a bit in use. I can't say if yours are worn to the point of needing replacement without looking at them.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Oh we got rust a plenty - I'm thinking I should buy stock in PB Blaster ;-)

I figure when I get the frame straightened that I will ask my buddy (he does own an autobody repair shop!) what his thoughts are.... Although I know for a fact that the last jeep he saw in his shop was mine when he let me use his heated environment and tools for installing my suspension system. But one would think that a good auto body technician can properly diagnose body mounts regardless of the vehicle type.

thanks Earle!

paul

Reply to
paul