Best year for a used wrangler

Any advice on what year to look for in a used wrangler?

Thanks, Dennis

Reply to
lovs2fly
1989...then you'll get loads of experience changing almost every part on the Heep within the first year. :)

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

my 89 has the ax15..

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

Early '89 Wranglers have the notorious Peugeot BA10, late model '89 Wranglers got the better AX-5 or AX-15 trannie.

Jerry

Pi-Eyed Piper wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I lucked out, I know. Overall, I've been pretty happy with my "carbed' 4.2L. It's running decent.

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

Reply to
Norman

Why is your search limited to a Wrangler?

Just Curious, Norman

1982 CJ-7
Reply to
Norman

in article iPadnTSpsoDIcy snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com, lovs2fly at snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote on 6/17/05 8:37 AM:

My '97 Sport has been good to me. Bought it about 3 years ago with 65K miles, never offroaded at that point, clean and tight, etc. What do you intend to do with it? How much money you got to spend? If you are building a trail beast, no point starting with a brand-new Jeep, unless you have money to burn. OTOH, if it's a daily driver, no point starting wiht a beast!!

I'd get a '97 or newer, personally... I like the TJ.

-jeff

Reply to
Jeff Olsen

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

Depends on what you want to do. If you plan on lifting the Jeep, and you don't want to spend a fortune doing it, get a 95 or older. The coil spring lift kits are much more involved and expensive than leaf sprung ones. If that's not a priority, and you'll be spending all or the majoriy of your time on the road, a 97 or later one would be better, as the coil spring setup rides better and they have more modern amenities. Models from 99 onward even come with cruise control. Of course, there are CJ's too, but you'll be getting into a whole other discussion there, as there are CJ 5, 6,

7, and 8 models, and later years 7's had a slightly wider body, and certain years used crappy AMC 20 axles, and other stuff to consider. But, if you plan to tear it apart and put new axles in, a nice lift, and other stuff, that could change whether or not you care about any of that stuff.
Reply to
Ruel Smith

Coil springs are a lot better all the way around.

Reply to
calcerise

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

now you tell me.................It's been an involuntary, yet valuable education...........

Reply to
Carlo

learned how to rebuild the Peugeot before I learned you aren't supposed to..............

Reply to
Carlo