BIG 4 SUED FOR ABS STOPPING DISTANCES!

Yep. All you armchair physicists were right...

NOT!

Reply to
Valued User

Man, go look at the links Bill provided!

Go look it up yourself on Google.

The car makers even agree ABS increases stopping distance.

We aren't armchair physicists, we just know how to read or see the things in action....

Mike

Valued User wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

It's only recently that GM has decided to use "Professional Engineers". Lets hope the other manufacturers follow suit and fire their amateurs

Reply to
Paul Calman

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

On 09 Dec 2003 09:21 PM, Paul Calman posted the following:

Lack of a PE license doesn't necessarily mean somebody isn't a competent engineer. Depending on their exact field and state of residence, the license may not be applicable or even available.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

James Hilins

I agree, I'm a Engineer and in my field getting a PE is nothing more than wall paper.

But not having one is no excuse for poor engineering work. (incompentence)

Reply to
James Hilins

I don't want to sound like an old-fart-know-it-all but I have more miles on anti-lock and non-anti-lock than 5 average people might have in a lifetime (about 1.7 million miles) on every conceivable road condition. I agree, ABS is NOT the shortest possible method of stopping - threshold breaking is. Having said that, I am a proponent of ABS.

Anyone on the road with the mindset of "I can go anywhere, I have all wheel drive" will end up in the same ditch as the guy that thinks "I can stop on this icy road, I have ABS". In my opinion, ABS is best used in avoidance situations on slippery surfaces. The vehicle will adjust and respond to changing forces when avoiding an obstacle... once you've avoided the obstacle you may not need to stop! On dry surfaces, you can't beat threshold breaking.

Drivers should be better educated about avoidance... I have seen way too many rear-enders on the highway when the driver could have veered left or right to avoid collision (not to mention, leave more room to stop).

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

That wasn't a slam on Engineers, there are 4 of them in my family. I am used to explaining jokes to them. It was a slam on GM's advertising strategy of "professional grade engineering" as something new. Similar to some razor company's new ad touting Titanium as one of the "sharpest" metals. Nowhere in my machinist's or metalurgical texts does it list metals by "sharpness".

Reply to
Paul Calman

Reply to
FrankW

On 10 Dec 2003 06:43 AM, Paul Calman posted the following:

Besides which, I don't believe titanium holds an edge as well as good old carbon steel. The reasons to use it are heat resistance, strength to weight, and corrosion resistance. A few years ago I visited Boeing Surplus in Renton, and they had several blocks and small sheets of it for sale. I stood there trying to think of some possible use I would have for it but ended up leaving without any of it.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

The ONLY advantage to ABS on a passenger car or light truck is that the vehicle operator retains directional control during panic stops. That is the ONLY advantage, and do not let anybody tell you anything different.

The way ABS works is that it removes the applied brake pressure from any one, or all, of the brakes when it is detected that a tire has stopped turning. When that tire is rolling, it is not stopping, and therefore it will go further before it does come to a stop. The distinct advantage of this is that you can provide directional input to a tire that is turning, and it will respond.

Reply to
CRWLR

ABS is scary to drive on packed ice.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

No argument there.

On 10 Dec 2003 10:20 AM, L.W.(?ill) Hughes III posted the following:

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

On 10 Dec 2003 09:21 AM, CRWLR posted the following:

ABS will also provide more even braking action during a fast stop on a surface with varying traction. Kind of like what is found at every intersection around here right now. There is a mixture of ice, snow, and slush, intermittently sanded throughout Anchorage. The temperature has warmed up to right around freezing, which is the most dangerous time for driving and is when ABS is the most useful.

If the operator of the vehicle reacts correctly to the ABS engagement by mashing down the pedal and holding it there, the rig will stop a hell of a lot quicker than it would if the wheels were locked up! The increased control is just a bonus.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

On 10 Dec 2003 09:30 AM, Paul Calman posted the following:

Motor vehicles are scary to drive on packed ice, period. ABS makes it less scary if you use it correctly.