Bleeding ABS

Any tricks for bleeding ABS? I installed new callipers, bled and topped up the reservoir. I'm getting a steady stream from the bleeder but the pedal goes to the floor with the engine running. I can pump the brakes for a little pressure but it goes to mush as soon as I take my foot off the brake. Any ideas?

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

'92 XJ if that makes a difference.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Thanks Bill, The engine wasn't running when I bled them - that was afterwards while testing. I bled them conventionally...

  1. top up the reservoir
  2. "pump it up"
  3. "hold it"
  4. open the bleeders/close the bleeders ...repeat as necessary. It feels like an air cavity in the callipers... I'm wondering if I should have topped up the calliper before putting the brake line on. It pees a steady stream, no air and a decent pedal until you have it running.

-Brian

: > Any tricks for bleeding ABS? : > I installed new callipers, bled and topped up the reservoir. I'm getting a : > steady stream from the bleeder but the pedal goes to the floor with the : > engine running. I can pump the brakes for a little pressure but it goes to : > mush as soon as I take my foot off the brake. : > Any ideas? : > -Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
mic canic

Thanks for your help Bill... I don't know what the problem was but it's fixed now. I pulled the callipers off, lay them down, pre-loaded them and put the lines back on. Then I bled front and rear. Brakes feel like new now!

-Brian