blown engine... rebuild or replace?

My wife had to keep driving after the head gasket let go. The engine is toast. Any thought on whether it better to rebuild my engine, or buy a rebuilt engine, or even buy a used junkyard engine?

-jeff

Reply to
Jeff Olsen

I wore my crystal ball out at Christmas trying to figure out what my wife wanted... can you provide some details?

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd

Stroker kit comes to mind ... or that's what I'd do.

Reply to
bowgus

I would trade "it" in for a new one (replace "it" with whatever is appropriate, i.e.. wife, car, truck, engine, etc).

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
Rusted

Jeff, Sorry to hear about your deflugalties with your engine. I'd llike to thank Rusted for the engine sight. I was wondering if a 318 c.u. would fit into a 1997 >

< and I guessit will if there sellling one. I'm looking to buy Mom a new truck (sheturned 76 yesterday and can't get her to change her tomboy ways - butthat's good) and she happens to have a 318 engine in her current RamVan with less than 90K which has been maticulously maintained. I wasgoing to pull the engine because I knew I would want to use it someday. Those 318's will last a long time when petted.Good Lluck with your engine woe's.Regards, Steve

Reply to
popeyeball

my father in-law has a 90 or 91 cargo van with a 318....476,000KM and still going, burning some oil but still has some juice left. Talk about a vehicle not owing you anything!

Reply to
Jasonp

junkyard engines are usually very well priced. car-part.com. i would and did buy one.

Reply to
Erik Litchy

Used them before.

HarryS

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

the most important if you decided to go for a used one, have a compression test done. a friend of mine just bought a 5,000 CAN Audi S4 Engine with 3 blown valve and a warp head....

Costy is the answer..... !!! and no refund since the Engine as not been install in an S4 car and blah blah blah....

My 2 cents is No Compression reading don't buy....

"L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@cox.net...

Reply to
Patrick

Wow, I'm glad I asked for more information before offering up some lengthy JEEP RELATED diatribe. About now I'd normally say wrong newsgroup but since you went to the trouble of typing all that out, I will offer my opinion. It's an 86' Nissan, unless you lost your virginity in that truck, you purposed to your wife in that truck, your children were conceived AND delivered in that truck or have some other sentimental reason for putting money into it, I'd say put it out to pasture. On the other hand, if it's a solid truck and you're doing the work yourself, get and engine from the wrecker and get busy. I have to go now - I ran out of comma's.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd