Body mounts

Hey Everyone, I'm having the body and frame mounts replaced on my '82 Scrambler. The rest of the tub and body are in good shape but the mounts were shot. Naturally the body where the mounts were attached was rough and

6 of the 10 mount holes needs some repair. A few are downright nasty and require some severe fabrication. Normally a candidate for a tub replacement, but the inside and exterior are in great shape and the paint is good. I've been looking and i'll be surprised if anyone can answer this:

Does anyone make any kind of replacement sheet metal to be welded in for those areas? I know floors, side panels, etc can be found. What about the specific areas for the body mounts?

Thanks, Don W

Reply to
QuickTruck

I don't know if this helps, but when I went fiberglass I didn't like the idea of the mounts only being held by a 'glass and plywood' sandwich no matter that is is almost 2" thick so I plated the areas with 3/16" plate.

I drilled holes right through the floor into the plates to anchor the plates with bolts and large washers, then drilled for the mounts. I managed to tie in the 'sport' bar's front mount to the plate which ties to the frame mount to beef up it's structure. I am still under some construction in the rear but am going to tie the rear of the sport bar to the frame also in the next modification.

Because my 'glass tub fits different than stock and doesn't have those ribs, the mounts weren't the right height so I just used large washers stacked that I sprayed with cold galvanizing to prevent rust first. A bunch only need one washer like stock, the rest got small stacks.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Hey Everyone,
Reply to
Mike Romain