boneheads at jeep corporate

first some bonehead down at jeep corporate decides to drop yellow and sienna from the wranger lineup (if either color were available it would make my color choice easy. if both were available, id probably flip a coin). next, some bonehead decides to replace the black top/flares with grey...luckily that mistake was corrected. in preparing to order my '05 rubicon i finally decided on another khaki with the black top/interior (just like my '03

) and when i went down to make the final order, i found out for '05 some corporate bonehead decided that you cannot get the khaki wrangler with the black top/interior. you can get a green jeep (rolling off the same assembly line) with a black top/interior, but you can only get the khaki top/interior on the khaki jeep. i cant help but wonder what the hell these people are thinking in making stupid decisions like this. it just makes no sense why you can get the black top/interior on EVERY color rubicon except the khaki. if you have some insight on why this bonehead decision was made, please share.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Jerry Bransford

I'm somewhat new to the group, why was he sued by DC?

Reply to
Marc

He used "jeep" in the URL to his website. DC got a little testy and flexed their muscles. I think that today, Nathan could probably fight them and win because there have been recent rulings that product names in a website are not indicators by themselves that consumers can be confused. Basically, DC said that consumers will go to Nathan's site and be confused about the product offerings.

It was more complicated than that, but this is the reader's digest version. I think DC was WAY off base in their attacks on Nathan, and many others for that matter.

grey...luckily

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

That's some very old stuff that probably doesn't need to be dug up and discussed again, unless he wants to. I for one would not like to see it dug up again.... my having even mentioned it could probably be considered out of line.

Jerry

Marc wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

im a _jeeper_, and despite my emotional state during that period, no frog-eyed dc corporate attorney will ever change that.

....now, if youve any insight as to why the black top and interior is available on all colors except the khaki please share.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

the "official" story -->

the truth behind the suit goes much deeper and involves an enviro-troll (whom we have since removed from this newsgroup) and his little frog-eyed friend. _however_, instead of cluttering up the group with old news id really just rather know why i cant get a black top and interior on a khaki rubicon. :-)

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

I dunno ...never seen that combo until you posted the pic but I really like it ...looks great and would probably not show dirt too badly up here in the salt belt.

Reply to
griffin

I got an '02 and have that "cowhide" interior....well, it's the colour of baby puke!! Seriously!! And you have to throw flour down on the seat during the summer, so you can peal yer arse off. I immediately went out and bought some wet okoele's (black and grey) and they match the dash and look awesome!

Reply to
SteveBrady

That's a beauty color! I drive an '03 in that color with a black top....there's one around town with a Tan roof and it jus doesn't look right...it makes ya wonder what they are thinking?? good luck Nathan...

Reply to
Jeff

You neglected to mention the pictures of nekkid wimmin on his website, which D-C, the owner of the trademark "Jeep," objected to.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
FrankW

smoke and mirrors matt. at one time i was getting requests from levels of management above those who filed suit. legally it all boiled down to using "jeep" in the domain.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

my 03 is khaki/ black as well. Seems to be a well liked combination. It makes sense for some dumbass to decide it is no longer available. maybe that was their way of differentiating an 03/04 from an 05 ?

=== you must first take out MYUGLYSISTER to email me privately ===

Reply to
dave

The "legal" argument was that consumers could be confused that Nathan's site was somehow to be construed as an official site.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

The white YJ was a favorite...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Which is the basis of trademark law.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

You just named off 9 sites, but did you know there are currently 4,084 sites out there right now with the phrase "jeep" in the url? I have one of them. Domainsurfer.com is one of the utilities you can use to look for these things.

Reply to
Rusted

The Sandman probably sold a couple extra Jeeps:

God Bless America, ßill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III