Borla Headers for 98 TJ - Need advice

I'm thinking of replacing my stock-cracked-POS exhaust manifold with a set of Borla Headers (PN: 17127). From what I can gather from reading on the subject is that 17127 is a more-or-less drop-in replace for the exhaust manifold, and PN 17236 re-routes a bit and requires a bit more work.

I have been searching the web for the best price on these and keep finding a low price on a bunch of websites that look identical such as (prices vary from $400 to $450)

My questions are:

  1. Are these sites a scam?
  2. Has anyone dealt with any of these sites successfully?
  3. Where is the cheapest place to get Borla Headers from these days? Crutchfield and Quadratec are all in the 0+ range. I'd rather pay closer to 0, but don't want to get rooked.

Any ideas?

Reply to
That_Jeep_Guy

The Merg

It's a 1998 4.0L Automatic ...

Although I'm enjoying my Jeep sounding like a ski-doo, I think it's time to fix the problem.

Reply to
That_Jeep_Guy

IIRC, the auto will need some sort of linkage adjustment.

I dunno if 'I' would trust those other sites, but others may disagree with me. You may want to check out

- go to the forums, either look through the 'bad seller' forum, or just ask there if any> It's a 1998 4.0L Automatic ...

Reply to
The Merg

Try

I have had good results from them.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
The Merg

Thanks Bill, I have followed this link before from your 'links' page, however I'm leary on it for a few reasons:

  1. I've seen that picture tacked onto multiple manifolds across the internet, and on ebay with varying prices. I'm guessing there are knockoffs of it.
  2. I've heard from my local 4wd store that those manifolds are prone to having the expansion areas blown. Of course this is the same shop that offered to fix my old manifold.
  3. I need to get it shipped to Canada, and that website apparently doesn't want to do that. Also if I find a website that does ship to Canada I can't be guaranteed that it's the same one since there is no manufacturer or standard part # associated with it.

Reply to
richardlyon

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Not to worry, "it was designed in the U.S. and the tooling is owned by a large U.S. manufacturer." That is some of the ugliest "stainless steel" that I have ever seen. They make a number of statements that are apparently supposed to imply better welds like "high temperature color patterns near welds" and "wide surface weld patterns used in joint areas for supurb strength" (note the innovative spelling). Maybe someone with more welding experience than I have would want to comment on the "strength through ugliness" principle that seems to be at work here.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I don't see a problem with repairing your existing manifold and saving a STACK of money!

Bruce

Reply to
Highcountry

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

I purchased a manifold from them two years ago for my '98 TJ, and it is cracked already. I think I will go with one of the headers (borla or banks probably) this time as well so I am not redoing this again in two years.

Reply to
Harkin