Brake bleeding - '96 XJ w/ ABS

Any special thing I should know about bleeding my ABS-equipped XJ ('96)? The factory manual mentions something about the scan tool. Is this necessary for a simple flush of the brake system via bleeder screws?

Reply to
Phil Boeye

Phil Boeye did pass the time by typing:

Nope, as long as you don't suck air into the ABS servos. Just keep an eye on the brake fluid level.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

On 13 Dec 2003 03:41 PM, Phil Boeye posted the following:

Definitely follow the bleeding procedure in the manual. Many ABS equipped vehicles require a different bleeding sequence than non ABS rigs.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Bill,

Try reading the links you post.

matt

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

because bleed>Poster wrote:

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

(sigh). I hope you don't get him killed when his ABS pump fills with air.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Ok.. I've stayed out of this thread for a while but this is getting sad.

Providing you do not let the reservoir go dry, bleeding brakes on an ABS equipped vehicle is no different that a regular setup. The problem occurs if you get air into the solenoids. Your not going to get 100% of the fluid out, but you will get most of it.

I've done it dozens of times without any problems. Both by having someone press the brakes and by using a vacuum bleeder.

The key is to take your time and not let the reservoir run dry.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)