Brake light on dashboard

Carl, and Ray I want to thank you both for your responses but I ned to rephrase.. The brake light I was reffering to is on my dashboard (such as when I put my emergency brake on). but I notice when I step on my brakes there is alot of play....Thanks again... I will wait for feedback..

Reply to
agent99

I missed the rest of the story, but if the 'brake failure' light is on on the dash, the vehicle is 'not' safe to drive.

If you 'must' drive it, make sure the emergency brake is working and that you know how to stop the vehicle safely with it.

That light comes on when there is a catastrophic failure of the system where one circuit has lost brake pressure.

This can mean totally worn out brakes so the fluid is leaking past the wheel cylinders, or a broken brake line or a dead master cylinder.

Driving with only one side of the hydraulics working usually leads to immediate failure of the master cylinder and the brake pedal on the floor.

If the system is rusted out, it can be a 'very' expensive fix....

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Carl, and Ray I want to thank you both for your responses but I ned to
Reply to
Mike Romain

I don't know the rest of the story either but I agree with Mike, the vehicle is not safe to drive.You may have a spongy pedal now but a total brake failure is inevitable.

Be sure your brake fluid in the master cylinder is topped up with fresh (not old) DOT3 or DOT4 fluid. If the pedal pressure improves, it should be safe enough to drive directly to your mechanic. But keep your hand close to the emergency brake lever. If you are lucky, your mechanic can bleed the brakes will make the light go off to solve the problem for now. You would be wise to spend the money and have it checked out by a competent mechanic ASAP and repaired properly.

If it is the BRAKE light it could be expensive. If it is the anti-lock brake light, it may be too expensive for your budget. Sorry to be so blunt.

Merrill

Reply to
merrill

Check the brake fluid. It could be a simple as low fluid or as expensive as total failure. Chances are if the fluid is that low you at least have a leak somewhere. My guess is that your pads and shoes are worn out, causing a fluid level drop and the poor braking. If you don't know how to do brakes, take it to a mechanic.

HTH

carl

Reply to
Carl S

Thanks again guys... I made appointment to get it fixed on Tuesday..I will let you know the outcome... Deb

Reply to
agent99