Brake problem

2002 Grand Cherokee 4.7l 8 Cyl 109,000 miles

When breaking from a higher speed, the steering wheel starts wobbling as if you have a really unbalanced wheel, in fact the entire car shakes, its really bad and seems to get worse. I had the car about

1,000 miles ago when made an oil change for him and I thought it was not as bad as it is now. As the car slows down or when breaking from a lower speed, it turns into a wave like stopping motion as if half the break disk stops harder than the other half. I don't know how better to describe it but you feel like you are going back and forth in your seat. The car however is not pulling to the side while breaking. I assume it is a problem with the breaks, but I have not checked them yet. Its not my truck but a friends, and according to him his last break job was about 50,000 miles ago, which would call for new breaks. However, it does not lack stopping power at all. Any idea what to look for regarding the behavior described? Could there be something else wrong than the breaks?

Axel

Reply to
axel

** Posted from
**
Reply to
L.W.(Bill)Hughes III

Axel, I had the same problem in my 99 GC. After three sets of OEM rotors I gave up and bought the Stillen cross-drilled/slotted rotors and pads. Not cheap but they fixed the problem (about $350). No more shake and better stopping with Stillen brakes. I cant say enough about this upgrade. It completely cured my problem.

Make sure you have the new Akebono type calipers upgrade. See first link below, which explains the problem and explains the TSB that upgrades to Akebono calipers. Then see a review of the Stillen rotors (second link) Then buy them (third link). Best $350 you'll ever spend.

John

If the mentioned brake work has been done, then the vehicle is likely the recipient of a gorilla with an air impact gun.

It seems like the latest Scam, but these fools are hammering on the wheel lug nuts in 'supposedly' routine tire rotations which will warp the rotors bad.

They then expect to make $$$$ off the 'fake' brake job now induced.

They try to cover their asses by saying, 'ya but I used a torque stick' on my air hammer. BS is the only call there, a brand 'New' 'torque stick' has at 'least' a +/- 15% tolerance, most have 20%. This quite plainly means, in the hands of an 'expert', the torque on a 100 ft lb nut can be anywhere from 85 ft lb to 115. This 30 to 40 foot pound difference is easily enough of a difference to warp the rotor.

The only proper way to put on 'modern' tires, well since they started teaching the proper way back in the 1970's when aluminum wheels came in, is to put them on with the gun if you want and to 'finish' them with a proper torque wrench.

ALL the garages I use, Jeep shops included use a torque wrench to finish the wheel lug nuts. If they didn't, they would lose me as a customer and they 'don't' know this...

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > 2002 Grand Cherokee 4.7l 8 Cyl 109,000 miles
Reply to
Mike Romain

I think you give them too much credit. Anyone smart enough to know this can happen is also smart enough not to do it. You only 'discover' it by being stupid.

Ummm, Romain, the tolerance is not between uses of the *same* stick; it's tolerances between *different* ones. Using the same torque stick will yield the same torque every time within a foot-pound or two. Further, the tolerance is more like 3%. Do a search. Torque wrenches are inaccurate, too.

-- C.R. Krieger

Reply to
Motorhead Lawyer

Yep, got mine from Kolak. Higly recomended if he is still around.

down to multitronics.

Reply to
DougW

No, this was discussed on the auto tech group and my numbers are right and were searched.

The 'tolerances' for a torque stick are +/- 15% for an 'expensive' one and this means a +/- 15% on each 'use' with an 'expert', not on each stick. It's the hammer.

This is unlike a torque wrench that has the tolerance set the same for each wrench because of the 'Hammering' action of the 'impact' gun.

I have worked with these things for years.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain