Brake question 2000 TJ (sorry if this is a repeat post)

Hello all...been awhile since I posted...been on the road on an adventure in the Jeep...mostly in the Pacific Northwest...which I will have to tell those interested about someday...it was great...

I have a brake question...(I has written up a draft which I think I either accidentally posted or deleted...never showed up on the newsgroup so I guess I deleted it)

Anyway...my question...

I am in the process of replacing the front brake pads. I can't get the caliper piston to retract into the cylinder no matter how hard I push/pry. I have been using a rubber coated pry bar with a rubber block laying across the piston...the thing won't budge. I haven't tried the other (left) side yet. I took the brake fluid resevoir cap off, have a helper watching the fluid to see if it start to backup/overflow...

Any ideas? The brakes work fine on daily use. Just needed a replacement on the pads which I've done before (not on this Jeep) so it's no big deal.

Like I said, I haven't been around for awhile...always watched the group and occasionally contributed when I felt I had something to say.

Thanks glenn

Reply to
gdv

L.W.(ßill)

This might be a silly question but did you loosen the bleed valve? L8r - Jersey

Reply to
Jersey

I always just used a big ass prybay to push the outer pad as far away from the rotor as I can before I remove anything.

My real trick though is to turn the engine on just before I seat each side. With the engine vacuum on the booster, I can seat a good caliper in under a second.

Mind you this is on a non-abs system. Not sure if it works for abs. It should work for abs though, if it doesn't, try pulling the abs relay before you start the engine.

Mark Novakovic

gdv wrote:

Reply to
Mark Novakovic

Is that necessary? I mean...am I accomplishing the same thing by opening the fluid resevoir cover? That's what I was thinking.

Followup is that the c-clamp worked fine. New pads installed in under

30 minutes and they are working great.

Reply to
gdv