bright yellow fluid leak !

Hello,

I have a Jeep TJ 2002 2.5L manual transmission (and no AC)

over the weekend, i noticed that there was fresh bright yellow patches under my jeep... i'm pretty sure that it's from jeep because it was snowing overnight.. the snow went under the car and the leak is clearly visible on the snow.

it's not my windshield washer (that's blue) it's not my coolant fluid (that's brownish) obviously not engine oil not brake oil

could it be from the differential box ?

the patch was in the front center ...

Fadi

Reply to
Fadi

Diff oil is dark or grey if contaminated with water. Are you sure that the cat hasn't had a piss underneath that nice warm engine ?

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

That was my first thought too. :)

Other possibility for front center: Maybe the steering dampener has popped a seal? Anybody know what color the liquid is in those things?

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Brown fluid can stain snow yellow when diluted. Also if you have taken college chemistry you could have some chromatography going on. A patch in the front center could be coming from the front differential box, but it also could be coolant from a leaking water pump. Your coolant should be clear to yellow in this model year, but the coolant in the reservoir where you fill it could look brown because it is dirty. If there is a sufficient amount of leaked fluid, scoop up some of it with the snow and put it on a clean piece of 8.5 x 11 office paper. When the snow evaporates maybe you can figure out what is on the paper. Is it greasy? Does it have a smell? Did it stain the paper? Cat urine is also a possibility. ;^)

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

"Don't eat yellow snow."

:)

Usually clear.

Reply to
DougW

could it be from the battery ?

my car didn't start this morning :( ... when i turn the key all i hear is a 'click' ... i didn't forget any lights on or left anything running...

this sucks...

Reply to
Fadi

Battery fluid is usually clear, but that doesn't mean it couldn't pick up some color if it leaked. If the battery has caps, pop them and look to see if the level is proper. On some batteries they have a clear side and you can see the level.

Check the fluid levels just in case.

- battery

- coolant (and the overflow tank)

- power steering

- brake

Do you have good power, lights bright or dim? Cold weather will finish off a dying battery.

I've had more than a few die on me the first time it got below freezing. A quick trick if you can't get a jump start is to bring the battery inside so it can warm up a bit. Just don't expose it to direct flame. I sat mine over the furnace vent, let it warm up for a couple of hours, then started the truck and drove to the auto store for a new battery.

Reply to
DougW

It could. You can tell with a pH test strip if you have pool or aquarium maintenance chemicals about. Battery fluid is strong acid, low pH value. If you do as I suggested with the paper, battery fluid will put a hole in it.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Yup, I'd say someone was trying to "write their name" in the snow.

Snow... (not yellow)

Reply to
Snow

I hope your coolant color is either green, a greenish/yellow or for whatever strange reason orange. If it's brown then you have a serious problem.

I hope you mean brake fluid. I have seen all sorts of people add all kinds of fluids to vehicle systems. I've seen people add washer fluid to their coolant and even seen some dolt add pour RV anti-freeze into his gas tank, cause the bottle said it would "protects lines from freezing", I pointed this fact out the the gent (whom was not of Canadian descent, he was from 1/2 a world away), the man stammered that it "claimed to keep lines from freezing and he was told by his friend (another non-canadian) that it was cheaper then gasline antifreeze". Needless to say he ended up calling for a tow.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Maybe a blown power steering pump with it's yellow fluid seized and puked so the engine won't turn over?

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

powersteering fluid that Jeep sells over here is a medium brown, definitely not yellow bright or otherwise...

Perhaps it's coolant from another vehicle that was parked there before ...

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

It could be pretending to be a Real Jeep, and marking it territory. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@billhughes.com

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

The stuff I have seen is a light yellowish brown colour. Thinned out over snow and it could maybe go really light.

Mike

Dave Milne wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

LOL!!!!

That was my first thought!

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

Any dogs in your neighborhood?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

i tried starting the car in the evening and it just worked... i think my starter is acting up ...

as for the leak ... no idea where it came from.

finally ... i'm pretty sure that my coolant fluid is brownish .. i was surprised too ... i thought it would be greenish .... i will check again...

Fadi

Reply to
Fadi

Check your owner's manual regarding the coolant. There are many different types or blends and it is imporant to only use the specific type recommended by your vehicle manufacturer. One can't really tell by the color any more. If you or a previous owner have been mixing brands then strange things could happen, like yellow snow. With a 2002 then it is probably time for a change.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Do you know the Newfoundland remedy for chapped lips?

You stick your finger up your horse's butt and then rub it all over your lips. It doesn't really do anything for the lips, but it sure as hell keeps you from licking them.

I have seen people pour water in the engine oil, with the engine running, thinking they were filling the radiator.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Hopefully he'll check the level to satisfy himself !

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne