Broken Motor Mount

So...I ended up buying a steering column for the XJ from a junkyard (the bearings in the old one probably just need to be replaced, but I was fed up with it). After driving about 5 hours to pick it up, I got it in and drove to the gas station to fill up the tank. I had noticed the engine had been running roughly, and it only got worse on the way home from the gas station. It turned into what felt like the engine was swinging free, and either I had forgotten to reattach the nuts to the crossmember and the tranny had broken loose, so to speak, or I had a broken motor mount. So when I got home, I climbed under, the nuts were there. I checked under the hood, and voila - passenger side motor mount is split in half.

My question is this: Should I replace both mounts at the same time? and also, should I upgrade to heavier duty mounts?

Reply to
The Merg

Replace both. The stock ones should be fine.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Thanks, Carl - prompt and informative as always!

Where's the best place to get them? a Pep Z> Replace both. The stock ones should be fine.

Reply to
The Merg

works with your local CSK (checker, schucks, kragen) to save you 10-50%

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Reply to
The Merg

Anytime.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Make sure the mains aren't bent before you agree to buy 'em.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

I recommend replacing both with 'stock' mounts, 'not' aftermarket ones.

I have found that the original mounts last a long time whereas I tear aftermarket mounts apart every second off road trip it seems. I literally 'shattered' the last one. The metal plates were shattered into pieces still held together by the rubber vulcanized to them. This is on a CJ7, but still....

Curious, how much did the used steering column set you back?

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N> So...I ended up buying a steering column for the XJ from a junkyard
Reply to
Mike Romain

the steering column was $125, plus tax = $131.25 Thank god, the tilt wheel on this one doesn't rattle one bit. The other one was just such a PITA - the bearings didn't realign right or something, which caused the spring behind the lock plate to not compress correctly, so when I tried to put the snap ring back in, I bent the lock plate, which caught on the turn signal switch and bent it up. I had to pull the lock plate back off and straighten it, and I fixed the turn signal switch, but since the bearings were still messed up, the steering wheel 'still' moved around, only this time from the tilt wheel up. This caused the horn to go off every time I turned the wheel. I think the $130 was an acceptable expense after all that.

At the link Carl posted, I found stock mounts for $20 each that I can pick up across the street from work. Awesome.

Mike Roma> I recommend replacing both with 'stock' mounts, 'not' aftermarket ones. >

Reply to
The Merg

Reply to
RoyJ

Reply to
RoyJ

Reply to
The Merg

I just reread your post to say XJ, I was thinking YJ. Here is what I got:

kits, just play with the last digit in the following URL's (1 to 8)
But I **think** the side mounts might be the same, not sure on the tranny. This page indicates they are the same:

The Merg wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ

The motor mounts are the same, the tranny mount is different. I think I 'could' theoretically get a crossmember from a YJ and then use the YJ tranny mount and also add skid protection - The stock XJ crossmember is so freakin' tiny. I think that'll have to wait, though. I'll just stick with the factory stuff for now. Thanks anyway, Roy.

RoyJ wrote:

Reply to
The Merg

Some XJ's have a skid plate similar to the YJ's. It's on the 'off road skid package'. My first XJ had it, my YJ had it, my subsequent 2 XJ's and my TJ did not have it.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

So I'm pretty sure Auto Zone gave me the wrong mounts. They're about a half inch off. Honestly, they have the biggest @#$#ing morons working there. I don't know how it could be any easier for them - they look up the part on a computer, go in the back and find the part that matches. not that hard, yet they continually screw it up.

Both mounts that were > Some XJ's have a skid plate similar to the YJ's. It's on the 'off road skid

Reply to
The Merg

You should replace the tranny mount also.

Reply to
billy ray

I will, I just only had the money for the motor mounts. Gotta wait for the paycheck for the tranny mount. The car's not going anywhere til then anyway. just empty every pocket...

billy ray wrote:

Reply to
The Merg