Bumper Air Tank Pictures

I've read a fair amount of information about people building air tank bumpers, but, what I haven't seen is any good pictures that show what the finished project looks like. I've got a 1984 CJ7 that really could use some new bumpers (among other things). I've also got a friend who is a welder by trade that has offered to help me in constructing both front and rear bumpers out of 2x4 stock. Does anyone have any pics that I could check out. The last thing I want to do is waste the time making everything and then deciding it doesn't look good. My other concern is that I really need to have a hitch on the Jeep, so I'm curious how people have handled this with the custom bumpers.

Thanks

---------- Tim J Chassis - 1984 CJ7 Engine - SBC 305

timothyljanssen

I built a set of front and rear rear rock crawler style bumpers for my '87 YJ from 2"x5" tube several years back. They are fully sealed and tested for air tank use, I've never fired them up as tanks: just not enough air to make it worthwhile with 10.50 x 15 tires. If you do the math on mine, they are 2.8 gallon tanks. A 2x4 tube will be 20% less capacity.

On the other hand, I like the bumpers for looks and general ruggedness. The front bumper has and integrated winch mount as well as a pair of bosses for tow shackles and/or tow bar mounts. Uses the standard tow hook bolt holes to hold it down as well as the tow hook. Weighs about 75 pounds. Rear bumper has an integrated 2" receiver hitch that goes through the bumper rather than hanging below, keeps it from hanging up as often. The mounts for the rear bumper were extened forward so that the mouting bolts go through the frame rather than just using the holes where the bumperettes mount. Weighs about 50 pounds. Both bumpers are

57" long with tapered ends. These bumpers come out to the center of the tires, just about right for mashing down brush without getting the remains caught between the tire and frame. Rock crawler people like much shorter versions.

I have some pics around somewhere, they are not > I've read a fair amount of information about people building air tank

Reply to
RoyJ

A fabricator friend of mine is doing up a rear bumper for a friend that will also be used as an air tank...

Here's the beginning stages...he just started it the other day...I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any of your questions...

Good luck!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff (4X4PLAY)

I particularly like the post that was concerned that 3/16" tube would be able to withstand 160 psi safely.

billy ray

I'm glad to hear that the bumpers look good. I really like the idea of the integrated winch mount on the front, and the receiver hitch on the back going through the bumper. I'm curious to see how you did it. If you ever manage to find the pictures you had, could you send me the one of the receiver hitch in the rear? Also, I realize that this is not a lot of storage, but I intend to have an air compressor as well, so the tanks are really more of a buffer than anything else. Unless of course I decide to add additional tanks somewhere else on the jeep and tie them all together, which I've been thinking about. But, first thing is first. I think I'm going to try and draft up some plans and post them so I can get feedback from anyone willing to put in their two cents on the design. I don't want to end up in a "why didn't I think of that the first time" situation.

Thanks again, Tim

Reply to
Tim J

Don't forget that you will need rocker protection as well. 2x6 tubing has a fair storage capacity.

Reply to
billy ray