Button popped off of my parking brake handle...now it won't release

Ok, it's 10:30 here on the Pacific coast and I can't talk to either of my local automotive mechanic friends or my motorhead brother on the east coast due to the late hour. Hopefully there will be somebody on the list who can help me make it through the night! After work tonight I got into my '93 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2wd and noticed the button on the parking brake was missing when I went to release it. It had been there when I got to work. I found the button and a spring on the floor, tried to get them back into their proper homes...no luck. I was able to manipulate the rod/cable inside the handle and release the parking brake and made it home. My driveway is on an incline and out of habit I pulled on the parking brake after I shifted into park. Now I can't get it to release. The handle seems to have gone back into off position but the brake light is still on. I was able to back down the driveway and pull back up and it didn't feel like the brake was dragging. Any suggestions/ideas? I have a good amount of hands on (and successful I might add) experience in working on cars. Given the current state of my budget I'd like to try to handle this on my own. Thanks in advance! Angie

Reply to
Angie

If you look under the jeep there is a steel cable that runs back to a Y just before the rear axle. That's the emergency/parking brake line. If it's slack your fine.

Sometimes a fat pen can be used to press the mechanisim down or removing the center console for a while till it's fixed will let you get at the pawl. (on my ZJ all you have to do is take the bucket out of the center console to get at the mechanisim. Not sure for an XJ.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
Angie

Reply to
Angie

Taught means the p-brake is still on. Maybe try pulling the lever and putting it back down again? If that doesn't work, pull the console and check out the pawl.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Then you can pull up and try the pen or a screwdriver to push in on the rod in the handle.

Other than that you have to loosen the cable. There is an adjuster for cable install where the single one meets the two rear cables. You can back it off there to release the brakes and make the repair easier.

'Sometimes' you can screw the button back in too....

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
Angie

Had to go to work, sorry. Hope things worked out.

It won't be compleatly loose but it should have a bit of slack if you pull on it. Hard to explain in email.

Reply to
DougW

Ummm.... that is the problem, the e-brake was 'on' when the button popped....

Mike

DougW wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I know that. The OP was asking how to tell if the ebrake was on or not even with the handle down. Even when it's off the cable running back to the rear will not be drooping loose, just barely taunt to the point you can pull the cable by hand.

Reply to
DougW

Thanks for all the help!!! Instead of backing off the adjuster I was able to r&r the center console, release the parking brake and found that the rod inside the handle had lost its "hook". Temporarily I've re-bent it and threaded the button back on so the p-brake functions. I'll be replacing the handle this weekend. Take care everyone! Angie

DougW wrote:

Reply to
Angie

Thanks for the follow up!

Mike

Angie wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Nice to know you got it working again.

That's not a cheap part. You might be better off checking for a replacement from the junk yards since it's the same from 92 to

96 on the XJ. You could probably get the metal bit from a burnout or total wreck. Junkers like to sell bits off of those and since you know where yours broke, you will know where to look on the used one to see if it's good or not. Depends on the budget. :)

Item year dealer cpd PARKING BRAKE CONTROL, XJ Series 92-96 $99.60 $81.67 PARKING BRAKE CONTROL, YJ Series 92-95 $71.25 $58.43

cpd is

they are a dealerI use for OEM parts and they don't overcharge like others do. Give them a call and find out if there are sub-components. Sometimes (but not always) Jeep sells the fiddly bits rather than a whole assembly.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
Angie