Buying A jeep from AAFES will give you high blood pressure

I bought a new 2007 Jeep Wrangler to replace my 1998 Wrangler. Now please excuse while i vent.....*ahem*

Jesus H. Christ, has anyone else had to deal with a useless AAFES Overseas dealer? I'm in a remote location in europe with a small PX and the local AAFES car dealer is frustrating as all hell.

Mid March-I was at Ramstien AFB for a day and saw the 07 Wrangler I wanted on their lot. When I got back to southern Germany I told the local AAFES dealer. He can't find it on thecomputer system but tells me to order one from the US. Not only will that cost me a few grand more, the car won't ship here until freaking July. Forget that.

So I call the AAFES dealer in Ramstien. I know the vehicle is there, I just saw it 24 hours ago! He tells me its a sales model and not on the computer system...however if a customer wants to buy it they'll make it available. I tell him I am interested in the vehicle.

BINGO! The next day the AAFES guy HERE calls me saying he found the car I wanted. No shit, I think, I did What YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE. I mean, I told you WHERE THE CAR WAS! Still, its easier to deal with this guy because he's physically here, rather than a sales guy in Ramstien who is six hours away. What a mistake that was.

I gave this guy a check from USAA paying for the car on April 13th. The car is still in Ramstien. Now around the first week of April I had signed an intent to purchase, put a down payment down, and gave him a letter from USAA verifying the fact that they would cover the car loan. You would think that a reasonable dealer would, hmm...I don't know.....ARRANGE FOR THE CAR TO BE PUT ON HIS LOT! You know so when the check gets there I can have my freaking car. I won't even go into how he gaffed up some paperwork so badly that the military car sales team in New York contacted me because it looked like the vehicle was being shipped from the US. This guy took so long in arranging for the car to be moved that a friend told me "I'll just drive you to Ramstien myself and we'll pick up your car."....

Nope....even though we told the dealer five days prior to us going to ramstien thats what we were going to do, he waits until the night before I'm leaving to tell me that for some reason I can't pick up the vehicle on a weekend there. Now I'll go ahead and say that its almost my fault for this. I should have checked what he was saying for this simple reason: I know the dealer is open on saturday and I have already paid for and registered the car. So technically its my f****ng car. Theres something else going on.

AAARGH! So now this guy says he'll pick it up himself. Great. He just needs the plates. I give them to him. Then i go into the PX for a minute and he comes in behind me to tell me that he can't drive a vehicle with USAREUR plates so he can't drive the car here. WTF? YOU'RE A GODDAMN CAR DEALER!? How can you work for AAFES Europe and not be licensed to drive a USAREUR vehicle? He says he needs some crazy dealer plates that he doesn't have right now. But he'll get them in a few days.

Now this guy is old, I mean like old man old. He's retired military too. So I keep my temper and natural inclination to strangle him in check. Plus i'm in the PX there'd be witnesses. So I say fine, when can i please have the car I just paid 24,000 bucks for? He tells me middle of this week.

So now he calls me to tell me he expects the magic plates tomorrow and he'll go get the car Thursday. But...but...he spent all of the money in his sales account and needs me to loan him 150 Euros to take a train there and buy gas for the trip back. I say "ARE YOU FUCKING CRAZY!!!?". He says he'll take care of it. GOTT IN HIMMEL, where did they dig this guy up? He could have avoided all of this drama if he had simply done something about moving the car three weeks ago!

Has anyone else EVER had to go through something like this buying a car from AAFES?

Reply to
shizaru

I ordered a Grand Cherokee through the UK arm for delivery in US when we were moving back here.

When the time came to pay I wasn't charged for some extras (LoJack and extended warranty). I sent the money requested and asked if the extras were being supplied. OMS in New York apologized and told me how much more to send. Only problem was it was about 50% of what it should have been. Trying to avoid problems in the future and the cost of wiring money to them I ask them to explain how they had arrived at this figure for the extras. Their reply was pay the extra or you don't get the vehicle. As they already had my money for the full cost of the vehicle, less extras, I phoned and in a full and frank discussion told them to cancel the extras and I would take the vehicle as is and be done with it.

I collected the vehicle and 10 days later got a check from OMS for an overpayment as I had cancelled the extras. As I hadn't paid for the extras effectively they sold me the vehicle at 6% less then the price I agreed to pay when I placed the order.

-- Lansbury

FAQs for the alt.travel.uk.air newsgroup

Reply to
Lansbury

Can't say I did. But I did have to "educate" the Ramstien AFB Commissary managers as to the fact they have to provide services to Civilians TDY to USAFE. .. Even if it did take calling all the way stateside to talk with the nice gentlemen in charge of DCA ..

That evening I thought they were going to roll out the red carpet for us.

Must have caught him before the morning cup o coffee.

Reply to
DougW

In article , shizaru wrote: #I bought a new 2007 Jeep Wrangler to replace my 1998 Wrangler. Now #please excuse while i vent.....*ahem* #So I call the AAFES dealer in Ramstien. I know the vehicle is there, I

What about OMSC?

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong