Buying a Liberty CRD

Hello,

I live in California, and I'm planning on buying a Jeep Liberty CRD when it comes out (the Diesel powered Liberty that Jeep's apparently been selling everywhere else on the planet, except the USA).

The vibe I get is that this vehicle will not be sold in California. However, it will not be difficult for me to buy it out-of-state, since I make trips to Nevada, Washington and Oregon frequently.

What do I need to do in order for this purchase to go smoothly once I drive it back to CA? Will the California Diesel Police throw me in prison? Will I be allowed to register it? Every car I've owned I've bought in CA, so I don't know what I'm in for when I register a car from outside CA.

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
Beeblebrox

Check with the DMV

they have some good info on bringing out of state vehicles into CA. IIRC, you cannot buy a new vehicle from out of state and bring it in, unless it was manufactured to meet California emissions standards... if it's a 49-state vehicle, it must have at least

7,500 miles on the clock. Once you find a vehicle (and have its current title, which has been signed over to you), take it to a DMV or CHP office, where they will verify the VIN. You then send in some paperwork (or since you're already at the DMV office, you can take care of it while you're there). Pay your fees, and you're on your way with new plates and registration, and your new title will come in the mail in a couple of weeks. If you were to bring in a gasoline powered vehicle, you would also have to pass a Smog Check. There used to be a $300 'smog impact fee' charged on out of state vehicles, but it was declared unconstitutional a few years back.

here's a link to get you started:

good luck- Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Bremer

Unbelieveable...no wonder Kalifornia's broke.

Imagine how many politicians have worked to create all this madness just to give their patronage workers something to do. It might be easier to move.

Reply to
Jerry McG

Unless you are a resident of a state where the vehicle is legal, and bring it to California as a used vehicle you will have trouble registering it, since is isn't legal. You could register it out of state, but it seems that currently California is encouraging folks who spot out of state cars regularly parked near California residences to report the registration fraud.

Details available on the California DMV website.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

When i was living in BC (canada) you could buy a car in Alberta, the next province over, and not have to pay PST (Provincial Sales Tax).

Along with that, you'd pay some hefty fees to bring it back brand new....so for the first year or whatever, ppl would park it at home with alberta tags on it. I don't know how the insurance works on this....if you lie it's fraud....

Reply to
SB

Kinda funny when you realize that mexico literally has no anti dumping or ecological laws whatsoever. Ive heard stories from ex border patrol agents about a rive down there that is like a toxic waste river... really just amazing

Reply to
Waveblast9

I'm no fan of the special smog rules California's government inflicts on residents and others, especially the recent smog program changes, so we likely agree in that regard.

But it's a good bed that the State you live in is "broke", too.

So don't throw stones; you likely live in a glass house.

Reply to
Beeblebrox

Actually Oklahoma got rid of the vehicle inspections all because the inspection stations weren't making enough off the 7$ charge. So now we have to put up with idiots that don't/can't/won't maintain their own vehicles. No brake lights, no head lamps (or just one), bald tires... it's getting scary.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

that's another reason why most companies have facilities down there.

Reply to
SB

??? When you say "these polluters", are you including the Liberty CRD? I'm no mechanic, but my understanding is that modern diesel engines are much cleaner than the diesel engines used in cars from the

70s and 80s.

Volkswagon sells the Jetta TDI in California, so clearly diesel cars can be sold in California, and pass emissions.

Reply to
Beeblebrox

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

LOL! It passes emissions, but the Jetta is still "too dirty" for the People's Republic of Bill.

BTW, what's your definition of "too dirty"? For example, all of those POS Geo Metros that are collecting rust in junkyards across the country, are they "clean" vehicles in your eyes?

Reply to
Beeblebrox

I love my 2.8 Liberty (Cherokee) CRD, they have been around a couple of years here. when you pay as much for fuel as we do ($6.50 a gallon - though our gallons are 20% bigger) you will be glad of the better fuel economy

Reply to
AK

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

but go back to the days when we cooked over open fires....do you think your lungs were virgin clean then?

Just had a mental argument with myself there....wasn't there a place in pensylvania that the coal was burning under the ground or something? now THAT's scary!

Ok...back to my regularly scheduled rant.... You know those RF emissions test they did on cell phones on 20/20 or whatever show? Know how they all passed....it's funny to note, that they all passed a peak emissions test. But the way the safety boards rate it for workers/people is 'exposure' limits. So it's being exposed to a certain power over a certain amount of time.

I work on radars. We were installing one near a town and the folks were up in arms cuz of the RADIATION worries (wrong radiation...but that's ok). Our engineer went and asked them all, "do you have a cell phone"...."in any given phone call, how long are you on it". I guess, on the old analog phones, if you were on it for 10 minutes or so, then you were over the exposure limits. Of course now that digital phones are out there, then you can slow boil your eyes instead of the fast fry! haha what a rant eh! Anyhow, I guess what I'm getting at..... with all the smog, pollution, food additives, etc.... out there that can cause us harm; don't forget rf emissions too. A LOT more people are needing eye glasses these days!

my head hurts now.....might be the lack of good air to breath....or the crap they stuffed in to my big mac.....or the rf emissions (ALIENS!! RUN!)....oh wait, I've been thinking again...ok, 'nuf said!

Reply to
SB

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Speaking of gas....I'm waiting for things to go the way of the "Mad Max" movies! Pig poop for fuel!! that's the way to do it!

Reply to
SB