Buying YJ.

Hi all,

I want to buy a Wrangler YJ, what year should I be looking for ? I've found a nice 1987 YJ, well it looks nice on pics. Should I be looking for a more recent one ?

Regards

Reply to
Flubber

Depends on if you are comfortable with a carburetor.

The pre 91 YJ's have the older low rpm torque 4.2 engine in them, but they have a carb and associated pollution crap. I personally love that engine anyway and have a spare for when the 4.0 injected one dies in my Cherokee.

If carbs don't intimidate you, the old ones can be tuned to just fly, if you need a mechanic to do a tune up, I recommend the after 91 ones with the fuel injection because they are more forgiving about being tuned up right all the time.

Mike

Flubber wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I should have mentioned that due to tax and assurance rates here in Belgium, I'll have to go for the 2.5L engine :-(

"Mike Romain" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca...

Reply to
Flubber

Reply to
EDDIE O'CONNOR

as mike stated earlier 91-95 are all fuel injected 87-90 are carb

"EDDIE O'CONNOR" > At least a 94 they have EFI - NO CARB

Reply to
IsellJeeps

Ahh, so no matter, I think all the 2.5's are FI.

The heater blower motor in the pre 91 YJ is a piece of junk. A big GM motor can fit pretty easy so low speed is more air than high with the Jeep one. We have links here on how to do that.

The 89 4 is basically the same as the rest, it's only the 6 that had big changes in 91.

You need to check the back tails of the frame for rust and behind the front seats in the roll bar corners. Also the body rails where the mounts attach need rust checking.

Mike

Flubber wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Hi again

Just bought a YJ from march '96 It has "mountaineer" on the side, what does that mean ? It's the second time I see that green label.

"Flubber" schreef in bericht news:rw2ud.263$ snipped-for-privacy@hestia.telenet-ops.be...

Reply to
Flubber