Camshaft Position Sensor problem

1997 TJ, 4 cylinder

Error Code 54 intermittenly on Nov 05 to summer 06, now on solid.

Problems starting jeep since summer, but only after it had been running not long before trying to start.

Just had crankshaft sensor replaced as mechanic thought it might be the problem despite me telling him about the 54 code, plus no one in town had a camshaft psotion sensor handy.

Question: Is the camshaft sensor on a 97 TJ 4 cyl replaceable without removing the distributor. This is not clear from what I've read online (the Cherokee 6 cyl from this era requires distributor rmoved to get to the sensor.

Replacement seems hard to come by, napa and autozone don't have it online or local, "rock auto" appears to have it in stock, but I'm not up for removing the distributor and doing the rotor marking thing if I don't have to.

Reply to
mycincyid

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Bills link solidifies what I remember about the distributor on the 4.0L 96 XJ I owned. It's under the distributor cap and you don't need to remove the distributor. Here's what you suspect at Advanced autoparts.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo