Can I remove front axle shafts and still drive a 02 TJ?

I'm still troubleshooting a vibration problem in my TJ (see previous threads), and was wondering if it's possible for me to pull both inner axle shafts, disconnect/remove the front driveshaft, and still drive the Jeep?

As far as I can tell the front axle shafts don't hold the Jeep up -- the wheel bearings (and those three bolts) do.

Obviously I'd lose diff fluid in the front, but since it won't be spinning, I don't see the harm in that as long as I refill it after I put everything back together.

I'm trying to eliminate the front axle shafts as my vibration source. They're the only component in the front that I haven't ruled out or replaced. I just want to get them eliminated before I tackle the rear

44, which is a bit more involved than the front.

If it ends up being the rear (which I hope it will be, since D44 axles are a heck of a lot cheaper than the D30 fronts), I'll just end up replacing both axle shafts in the rear (I wanted to do that anyway) with something stronger than stock.

Thanks; Justin

Reply to
Justin M

"Justin M" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Try something easier and simpler first, lift the vehicle enough to get all 4 wheels off the ground, a lift would be nice but you could do it at home if you're very careful and have some SOLID way to block it up.....

Run it in gear at the speeds where the vibration usually occurs. If it vibrates then you can remove the front and rear drive shafts one at a time and see if the vibration is gone.

Reply to
XS11E

It vibrates between 60 and 70mph -- I don't think anyone would feel comfortable with the wheels spinning that fast while it's in the air. ;)

I've already disconnected the drive-shafts (including driving it on front only), and the vibration remains. Already replaced the bearings and u-joints in the front, pulled and held the front axles up to a straight edge, no obvious bends. Balanced and rebalanced the tires. Reproduced the vibration with the transmission and transfer case in neutral (engine at 600rpm). Replaced trackbar in the front.

I have a strong feeling the problem is in the back now (I'm out of moving parts in the front), although the vibrations still feel like they're coming from the front passenger side.

I wish I could stick a camera under there to see which wheel is bouncing. :)

XS11E wrote:

Reply to
Justin M

Well that's scary. :) Scratch that idea. heh

Mike Roma> You 'must' leave the outer axle and yoke bolted onto the hub. This is

Reply to
Justin M

You 'must' leave the outer axle and yoke bolted onto the hub. This is all that holds the bearings in. If you drive without it, the front wheel 'will' fall off, I have seen it happen.

Mike

Mike Romain

"Justin M" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

If you can put it on a lift it shouldn't be a problem.

But the axles and wheels, etc. are still turning. If you put it on a lift and remove a drive shaft that axle won't be turning and should give you a much better test.

Reply to
XS11E